should the man be the head of the house? Watch

Poll: should the man be the head of the house?
yes (52)
36.62%
no (90)
63.38%
thecrediblehulk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
please read this before voting : i'm not saying the man should have absolute power over the wife or kids or anything close to it. but should he be the one who leads or makes the final decision on something that can't be agreed upon by everyone after discussing the issue.
Ronove
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, that's ridiculous.
JindleBrey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
not bothered
Red one
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ronove)
No, that's ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous?

As a person with traditional values I believe it's the Male's mantle to be the head of the household.
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The person who has the greater leadership skills should be the head of the house and that person could well be the woman.

Look at malcolm in the middle for example... even if it is fictional.
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends on the man. Whoever is smarter/better at leading should be the leader.
blubimnotafish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I actually think women usually lead the household.
They usually make dinner, take care of the kids, make decorative decisions, etc. So in my eyes they're already head of the household.
may348
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If the man makes the final decision anyway, then he pretty much does have absolute power over the wife.

So no. If there are two parents they should treat each other as equals.
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Red one)
Why is it ridiculous?

As a person with traditional values I believe it's the Male's mantle to be the head of the household.
If the family can't agree (as described in the OP) then the solution is not necessarily to 'let the man decide'. Let the man and the woman decide on different occasions. There's no logical reason why you need one person to always make the final decision. If one of the two hates making decisions then fine, let the other make them, but it's stupid to suggest that one of them should have more of a right to make decisions than the other.

Edit: PS 'As a person with traditional values [...]' appears to be as much of a justification for illogical views as 'speaking as a mother [...]'.
Katie_p
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Decisions should be made together and where no compromise is possible, the person most affected by the decision should make it.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What the hell is up with all of this misogyny on TSR lately?!
Red one
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If the family can't agree (as described in the OP) then the solution is not necessarily to 'let the man decide'. Let the man and the woman decide on different occasions. There's no logical reason why you need one person to always make the final decision. If one of the two hates making decisions then fine, let the other make them, but it's stupid to suggest that one of them should have more of a right to make decisions than the other.

Edit: PS 'As a person with traditional values [...]' appears to be as much of a justification for illogical views as 'speaking as a mother [...]'.

I agree with you that both partners should make some decisions. The Male makes decisions like moving countries, getting a new job, buying a car/house. And the female gets to make decisions about what the family will eat for dinner or what schools the children go to etc.

I'm all for equality in the household.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, this is the 21st century.

The head of the house should be determined by frequent competitive naked wrestling matches.
KJane
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Having the man as 'head' of the house seems like such an outdated concept to me. If I'm raising kids, earning my own wage either part or full time and paying bills, there's no reason why I'd let a man have final say over something purely because he is a man. I'd rather be single than in a relationship where I'm dictated to as opposed to discussing important decisions in our lives together.

That's how I see households run, by my parents, my extended family, my grandparents, friends parents. The only time I had a friend whose Dad's word was law in the house, it seemed terribly oppressive, and her and her mum was always just talking and disagreeing behind his back anyway.
dreadpiraterach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If there are 2 parents they should be a team who have equal responsibilities and make decisions together.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why is it ridiculous

We live in the 21st Century for heaven's sake! I'd have thought that most people would have worked out by now that it's in our collective benefit to use sense and rationality rather than 'tradition'. Tradition prevents people from moving forward.

It used to be tradition to sacrifice virgins on special occasions. Does that mean we continue it? No, because it makes no sense.
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree with you that both partners should make some decisions. The Male makes decisions like moving countries, getting a new job, buying a car/house. And the female gets to make decisions about what the family will eat for dinner or what schools the children go to etc.

I'm all for equality in the household.
You know that restricting the things a man/woman can make decisions on in a household is not equality.
ilem
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Certainly not. Having a penis does not make you somehow inherently better at decision making.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, we don't live in the 14th century anymore.
Red one
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
We live in the 21st Century for heaven's sake! I'd have thought that most people would have worked out by now that it's in our collective benefit to use sense and rationality rather than 'tradition'. Tradition prevents people from moving forward.

It used to be tradition to sacrifice virgins on special occasions. Does that mean we continue it? No, because it makes no sense.

There's nothing wrong with being a bit old fashioned and quaint. I actually think that society is too concerned with moving forward and progressive that it's diminishing our morals, beliefs and mores.

Employing a hyperbole is a logical fallacy.

You know that restricting the things a man/woman can make decisions on in a household is not equality.
I think it's smart to let couples make decisions specific to their roles.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (29)
6.92%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (245)
58.47%
No (145)
34.61%

Watched Threads