The Student Room Group

should the man be the head of the house?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by betaglucowhat
So you think we should adhere to the gender roles of 70+ years ago and have women subservient to men, as was tradition?

I don't think women were subservient to men as such. I have spoken to many women of older generations including my grandparents and they all seem to think that gender roles, or roles at least, were/are a good thing. The man and the woman each had something to contribute to the household and shared in it. Sounds like a logical, equal system to me.

Of course, abusive relationships existed, but they do now as well.
Original post by Red one
They lack the necessary education because they got pregnant too young as your modern society touts that losing your virginity at 14 is the norm.

Look. If you want to go back to the 19th Century where (assuming you're female), you would almost certainly live your entire life at the whim of a man and have next to no civil liberties or education, then that's your choice. If a life of domestic violence and abuse and oppression sounds fun, then good for you. Most sane people would disagree.
Why does there need to be a head of the house? In my house, I plan on letting discussion decide things.
Original post by thecrediblehulk
can you imagine a lioness choosing a maneless lion who is smaller than her.......awkawrrrrrrd!!

:lolwut:
Reply 64
Original post by Ronove
You quite tellingly don't say that the woman, as main breadwinner, should have the same say in decision-making as the man would in a relationship where he is the main breadwinner.

Your views have nothing to do with roles in a relationship, but sex/gender. Your views are pure, unadulterated sexism.

And if you know of no couples where the woman earns more, it would appear you don't mix with the real world very much.

I'm a female and I don't benefit from sexism and I most definitely don't support it. I, however, value traditional belief systems that enrich society rather than diminish the morals and beliefs of young people in the name of "moving forward".
Whoever earns the most should have the final say, clearly.
Reply 66
Original post by Chlorophile
Look. If you want to go back to the 19th Century where (assuming you're female), you would almost certainly live your entire life at the whim of a man and have next to no civil liberties or education, then that's your choice. If a life of domestic violence and abuse and oppression sounds fun, then good for you. Most sane people would disagree.

I am not advocating abusive relationships or demeaning women, quite the opposite. I believe that both sexes have different mantles within both their relationship and household.
Original post by Oschene23
Whoever earns the most should have the final say, clearly.

that will be the man the vast majority of the time.
Original post by Red one
I am not advocating abusive relationships or demeaning women, quite the opposite. I believe that both sexes have different mantles within both their relationship and household.

So why are you advocating we go back to the 19th Century when abusive relationships and female oppression was the norm?

And why do you believe that the sexes have different 'mantles'? Is this something that you have any evidence for, or is it just a belief?
that will be the man the vast majority of the time.

Evidence?
Reply 70
What the hell is up with all of this misogyny on TSR lately?!

Tbf a lot of it is the OP.
Original post by Olie
Tbf a lot of it is the OP.

There are even misogynistic women in this thread which absolutely blows my mind...
Reply 72
So why are you advocating we go back to the 19th Century when abusive relationships and female oppression was the norm?

And why do you believe that the sexes have different 'mantles'? Is this something that you have any evidence for, or is it just a belief?

I did not claim that we should go back to the 19th century, however we can cherry pick some of their morals and traditional values to make our society the best that it could be.

* Becoming more conservative

* Integration of religion into society

* Condemning sex before marriage in mainstream media, possibly integrating this into law.

... I have more suggestions.
Reply 73
There are even misogynistic women in this thread which absolutely blows my mind...

It just shows how the bad these traditions really are when even females willingly claim to be inferior to males.

What is it with you and this 19th century obsession? All Red one seems to be doing is advocating gender roles (correct me if I'm wrong here Red one). She is not saying that men should beat and oppress their women.
Being the head of something doesn't give you the right to abuse your inferiors. It just means they take charge and make the final decisions. The head of a business does not beat his workers, but makes decisions so that the business can become more profitable overall. The head of a country doesn't (or shouldn't) oppress his people, but ensures that the country is headed in a particular direction.
(edited 10 years ago)
No, everyone should have an equal say and decisions should be agreed on and discussed by both.

A relationship isn't a relationship if one person decides everything, that would just be one person following what ever the other person says.

It takes two people to have a relationship and if you're going to be living together then it is important you both listen to each other and agree upon things TOGETHER.
Original post by shadowdweller
Evidence?

which sex is more likely to earn more on average? which sex is more likely to work full time? which sex is less likely to be a stay at home parent?

clue: the answer is the same for all 3 questions.
Reply 77

It just shows how the bad these traditions really are when even females willingly claim to be inferior to males.
Original post by Red one
I did not claim that we should go back to the 19th century, however we can cherry pick some of their morals and traditional values to make our society the best that it could be.

* Condemning sex before marriage in mainstream media, possibly integrating this into law.

Please tell me you are trolling.
which sex is more likely to earn more on average? which sex is more likely to work full time? which sex is less likely to be a stay at home parent?

clue: the answer is the same for all 3 questions.

That's not evidence.
Original post by Red one

Why should we become more conservative? Why the hell would we want to integrate religion back into society?! Why on earth should we condemn sex before marriage? How bigoted can you get? What right do you have to tell people what to do, what to think, what to feel? How dare you?

Original post by The_Dragonborn
What is it with you and this 19th century obsession? All Redone seems to be doing is advocating gender roles (correct me if I'm wrong here Redone). She is not saying that men should beat and oppress their women.
Being the head of something doesn't give you the right to abuse your inferiors. It just means they take charge and make the final decisions. The head of a business does not beat his workers. The head of a country doesn't (or shouldn't) oppress his people.

She was saying that society has become worse as a result of progression and anti-traditionalism. I was proving my point that the world was much, much worse before.

Quick Reply

Latest