The Student Room Group

should the man be the head of the house?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thecrediblehulk
post 89. plenty of evidence for men making more money or being a tiny % of people working pt or staying at home.

I'll take a look now.
No, there is clearly no logical reason for this to happen.
These days, we are capable of making decisions as a joint effort, there is no need for anyone to be in charge (although if someone is, there is no reason it has to be the man).
Reply 143
obviously
Original post by canales
obviously

Why?
Head of the House?.

So 19th century
Reply 146
Original post by shadowdweller
Why?

men are usually taller so it's logical really
Original post by canales
men are usually taller so it's logical really

Erm. I'm afraid that doesn't make a whole lot of sense?
Reply 148
Original post by shadowdweller
Erm. I'm afraid that doesn't make a whole lot of sense?

its just a lot easier to be the head when you're the tallest
Original post by canales
its just a lot easier to be the head when you're the tallest

...Okay then
Reply 150
In the case of my parents the woman was the head of the house. Ideally the parents would be 'joint head', i.e. discuss things together before making a decision.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 151
please read this before voting : i'm not saying the man should have absolute power over the wife or kids or anything close to it. but should he be the one who leads or makes the final decision on something that can't be agreed upon by everyone after discussing the issue.

What happens if you have a household with more than one man living in it?
Reply 152
Original post by physicsbook
Its not that women are more emotional in the sense that we feel more than men, its just that on average we are more emotionally intelligent. This just means we're on average more capable of recognising different emotions.

No. The point I make is not about emotional intelligence at all. You are trying to put a positive spin on the higher emotionality of women. It is neither negative or positive. It's the natural way it is supposed to be. Nature has made it so. To repeat, my point is about females being more emotionally wired. This makes them more vulnerable because at times their emotions will inhibit their ability to carry on in a rational manner. If I was a woman I would be saying the same thing because that is just how it goes. The truth is about plain, objective speech, not spin to make us feel better about ourselves.
wow had no idea they raised the age limit, i was there 2-3 years ago. oh well, i got in and out in time then. literally and metaphorically lol.

Literally made me laugh out loud. Kudos
Reply 154
Original post by 2ndClass
Most women (in real life) want the man to wear the trousers in the relationship, to be assertive and dominant.

Most women want their views and wishes to be considered on an equal footing with their partner's.

Even if your claim were true (evidence please - the only woman I've heard express that view was arguably mentally challenged), wanting someone to be assertive does not necessarily equal wanting their will to triumph in the end over your own. It can be irritating when someone is scared to express what they want when asked - however it is infuriating when someone thinks that their wishes come before your own. There's a massive difference between expressing a wish and getting your own way.
Reply 155
Original post by Ronove
Even if your claim were true (evidence please - the only woman I've heard express that view was arguably mentally challenged), wanting someone to be assertive does not necessarily equal wanting their will to triumph in the end over your own. It can be irritating when someone is scared to express what they want when asked - however it is infuriating when someone thinks that their wishes come before your own. There's a massive difference between expressing a wish and getting your own way.

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/278/1715/2223.abstract?etoc

Like So Instinct said, this is something most of you look for.... I don't understand why you have to argue about everything :rolleyes:

No one wants a docile woman but at the end of the day, even from the littlest things like planning a date, asking a woman "so erm what do you want to do" isn't the sexiest thing in the world.
Lead in what sense
Reply 157
Original post by 2ndClass
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/278/1715/2223.abstract?etoc

Like So Instinct said, this is something most of you look for.... I don't understand why you have to argue about everything :rolleyes:

No one wants a docile woman but at the end of the day, even from the littlest things like planning a date, asking a woman "so erm what do you want to do" isn't the sexiest thing in the world.

Care to cite something from that abstract that supports your claim that most women look for dominant men? Because I'm not seeing it. At all.

Asking a woman 'so erm what do you want to do' (as an early or first date at least) simply shows a lack of imagination and puts the pressure on the woman to come up with an idea which will lead to an enjoyable date. Of course most people want to be able to enjoy a date without the responsibility for whether or not it flops. This is not something specific to women. It has nothing to do with 'dominance'.
Reply 158
Original post by Ronove
Care to cite something from that abstract that supports your claim that most women look for dominant men? Because I'm not seeing it. At all.

I knew you'd just read the abstract. Why don't you click on the right where it says full article for free, and to make it easy for you, scroll all the way to bottom and read the results

*pats head*

Asking a woman 'so erm what do you want to do' (as an early or first date at least) simply shows a lack of imagination and puts the pressure on the woman to come up with an idea which will lead to an enjoyable date..

Case in point, so it's up to the man to lead and be assertive. Ipso facto be the dominant one.

I swear people on here argue just to argue. I sorta miss my ban now tbh
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by So Instinct
To be fair, many themselves say it. It's observed scientifically in both human and animals, we see it in everyday life.

I can't say I've heard any woman say it.

Quick Reply

Latest