Anyone ever worked/volunteered at a festival? Watch

tshirtsuntan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
wondering if anyone has done these things where you can "volunteer" at festivals in return for a free ticket?
i wanna go to another festival this summer, but a bit poor and wondering if those sorts of things are worth it?
The one i'm considering doing is at T in the Park and its 3x 6 hour shifts and as i'd have to pay transport up, i can't help but think if i got given awful shift times the whole thing wouldn't be worth it despite getting a free ticket :/
ryan9900
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
DO NOT DO IT. It is the worst mistake you will ever make.

I am talking from experience here. If you a purely going for a free ticket then forget it. You won't get time to enjoy it and when you do, you won't want to. Knee deep in mud, dealing with extremely drunk/violent people who are also probably sky-high and off their heads on every type of drug ever created, trying to keep a smile on your face whilst feeling like absolute death.

You work ridiculous shifts and won't sleep. You will also miss all you're favourite bands/artists.

I volunteered at a festival because I just wanted to do some voluntary work and whilst I wasn't too bothered about who was performing, it was horrible. I enjoyed setting up the festival site and taking it down but the actual festival was really really bad. The festival I worked at was in September and was probably around 3 degrees at maximum temperature. Even in summer, it'll either be ridiculously hot or ridiculously cold. There is never a happy medium. You will be uncomfortable and wish you could just go back to your bed at the end of a horrific day of being shouted at by members of the public who look like they belong in a court of law charged with something worse than murder.

You won't be able to enjoy yourself or see your friends for any amount of time. You will probably get free food but it will probably taste like something I would make and I can assure you, my cooking is awful.

Please don't do it, for your own sake.

The only time you should volunteer at a festival is if you actually want to work in Events Management. No other reason is acceptable. Just buy a ticket. It might be expensive but you wont have a life-long regret that way.

Please feel free to ask me questions about this as I do have experience but my response will always be the same. Spare yourself the nightmare.
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ryan9900)
DO NOT DO IT. It is the worst mistake you will ever make.

I am talking from experience here. If you a purely going for a free ticket then forget it. You won't get time to enjoy it and when you do, you won't want to. Knee deep in mud, dealing with extremely drunk/violent people who are also probably sky-high and off their heads on every type of drug ever created, trying to keep a smile on your face whilst feeling like absolute death.

You work ridiculous shifts and won't sleep. You will also miss all you're favourite bands/artists.

I volunteered at a festival because I just wanted to do some voluntary work and whilst I wasn't too bothered about who was performing, it was horrible. I enjoyed setting up the festival site and taking it down but the actual festival was really really bad. The festival I worked at was in September and was probably around 3 degrees at maximum temperature. Even in summer, it'll either be ridiculously hot or ridiculously cold. There is never a happy medium. You will be uncomfortable and wish you could just go back to your bed at the end of a horrific day of being shouted at by members of the public who look like they belong in a court of law charged with something worse than murder.

You won't be able to enjoy yourself or see your friends for any amount of time. You will probably get free food but it will probably taste like something I would make and I can assure you, my cooking is awful.

Please don't do it, for your own sake.

The only time you should volunteer at a festival is if you actually want to work in Events Management. No other reason is acceptable. Just buy a ticket. It might be expensive but you wont have a life-long regret that way.

Please feel free to ask me questions about this as I do have experience but my response will always be the same. Spare yourself the nightmare.
Perhaps you should mention the company you volunteered under as that, as well as the festival(s) you worked will be a big factor.

I would do a Google op as lots of companies will come up and then Google reviews for some of the companies. Remember that different festivals attract a different crowd and the interaction you have with the public will ultimately depend on that and of course, certain bands will do certain festivals because if those crowds. I wouldn't imagine crowds at reading and Leeds or V would be very nice but you might be surprised at how friendly rock and metal crowds are.
tshirtsuntan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
ah that's disappointing. Did you get particularly awful shift times? Because I've thought about the three 6 hour slots I could end up having and the worst case scenario doesn't bother me that much.
What festival did you work at as well? because I don't think id even think about going to certain festivals let alone work them due to their rep :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads