Do you think schools are nice places?

Watch this thread
llys
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I can see the necessity of putting many children in one place to achieve cost-effective education. Apart from the education aspect, do you think it is good for them though? Socially, emotionally etc. ?
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by llys)
I can see the necessity of putting many children in one place to achieve cost-effective education. Apart from the education aspect, do you think it is good for them though? Socially, emotionally etc. ?
I think it is good yes. Socially children can interact, get independence from parents, form multiple attachments etc. which can make them emotionally and socially stronger. It can allow them to experience everything to the best that they can and as it's cost effective more money can be spent on resources to develop them cognitively as well. They also learn discipline, morals and boundaries.

The parts that are not so good is that children naturally learn at different rates, and although there are sets/groups for ability, some children's needs can be overlooked and often the middle ability children get less help/attention.

But yes, overall I think schools are good for children
LiamSoissons
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Well I hated school. Our school was awful, the teachers were ****, it was poorly planned! I think school could be good if it was reformed, but they need to hire people who actually care about their jobs.
llys
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
The main problem I see is that at school, children outnumber adults 20:1, so children will mostly learn social and emotional skills (as well as attitudes, discipline and morals) from other children. Which doesn't seem like a good thing given that most children are rather tiresome and not very good at these things to begin with (they are children after all).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (79)
67.52%
In the post (5)
4.27%
Text (15)
12.82%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (18)
15.38%

Watched Threads