The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Rejecting LSE ? Am i crazy?

Ok so the title speaks for itself, I was wondering: am I crazy for wanting to reject LSE for UCL or Warwick? I mean, I know the LSE is one of the best uni there is and everything, don't get me wrong. But here's the thing, i'm an international student, and I'm really scared about the expected level at LSE. I'm sure the exams are quite hard, there's a lot of work to do and I feel like I won't be good enough. It might seems crazy because "if you were accepted, it means you can make it" but I don't think so honestly.. If I come to the UK, sure I want a good uni but I also want to have the best of time with my friends, enjoy those 3 years and not spend them studying 24/7 in the library.. So what do you guys think? Am I missing a great opportunity, is that a terrible choice that I'm making ? I am so lost right now... Help from insiders would be very much appreciated! :smile: Thanks
Reply 1
:smile:agree with u , go for ucl or warwick (if you didnt apply for eco )
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
do what you believe will make you happy

really good, unforgettable memories>>>>>>>a peice of paper (a peice of paper which is just as good coming from warick/ucl)

:P
Reply 3
Original post by rhzhang
agree with u , go for ucl or warwick (if you didnt apply for eco )

Original post by sarsoora
do what you believe will make you happy

really good, unforgettable memories>>>>>>>a peice of paper (a peice of paper which is just as good coming from warick/ucl
:P

I applied for Management courses only :smile:
I get your point, but I’ll also spend a lot of money (and travel from far away) so I don’t want to make a wrong choice…
I mean I do want a good job, that’s why I’m willing to move to the UK for prestigious unis and everyone’s telling me I’m crazy to refuse an offer from LSE. I honestly don’t know what to do :frown:
Reply 4
Do what you think is right, but if you're blinded by the thought that all LSE students study in the library 24/7 and this is your only deterring factor, then think again. People who stay past 12 at the library tend to be the older students (master course, especially) with rarely little undergrad. Join the right bunch of people and you'll be able to have fun and go out partying every day.
Reply 5
Nope. However, a ton of my friends are in LSE and I don't see them working any harder than the ones in Warwick or UCL.
Have you got the place at Warwick and UCL though? And tbh I personally would go for LSE as it's pretty damn amazing, but that's not to say that the other two aren't! It depends on what you want. Have you been to the open days of each and spoken to students? It could help you weigh up the pros and cons and eventually make up your mind :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Moosh22
I applied for Management courses only :smile:
I get your point, but I’ll also spend a lot of money (and travel from far away) so I don’t want to make a wrong choice…
I mean I do want a good job, that’s why I’m willing to move to the UK for prestigious unis and everyone’s telling me I’m crazy to refuse an offer from LSE. I honestly don’t know what to do :frown:

To be honest.. I agree lool, I don't think it's crazy to reject it I just think you'll most definitely regret it in the future... I mean, its LSE :tongue:

If I was to give you the most honest advice I'd say go to LSE, it's 3 years of your life you probably wouldn't regret by the end of it. If you want a good job (who doesn't :colondollar:) then LSE is probs the one out of the the three.

:biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Moosh22
Ok so the title speaks for itself, I was wondering: am I crazy for wanting to reject LSE for UCL or Warwick? I mean, I know the LSE is one of the best uni there is and everything, don't get me wrong. But here's the thing, i'm an international student, and I'm really scared about the expected level at LSE. I'm sure the exams are quite hard, there's a lot of work to do and I feel like I won't be good enough. It might seems crazy because "if you were accepted, it means you can make it" but I don't think so honestly.. If I come to the UK, sure I want a good uni but I also want to have the best of time with my friends, enjoy those 3 years and not spend them studying 24/7 in the library.. So what do you guys think? Am I missing a great opportunity, is that a terrible choice that I'm making ? I am so lost right now... Help from insiders would be very much appreciated! :smile: Thanks

What makes you think UCL and Warwick are easier? You study at university for a challenge
Reply 9
This is always a tough one and it's a choice that crops up throughout your professional life: at what level do you pitch yourself? I don't know, if you're a genius who it all comes fairly easily to and you love the subject, you'll be OK at LSE. But if you're not and you plump for somewhere not as good, you might well find yourself doing just as much work but with less prestige - but then what if you got a first at Warwick but a 2:1 at LSE?

Generally speaking the university you went to, especially between such venerable institutions as LSE, Warwick and UCL, is not that important. Better to go to UCL or Warwick, get a first rather than a 2:1, and get yourself more involved in extra-curriculars. You'll have more fun and you'll have a well rounded CV and no-one will ever be able to prove you wouldn't have got a first at LSE. Choice of uni only really matters for the very very top jobs - in which case you'll be too driven anyway to care much about "having fun with friends" - or when the unis are of markedly different tiers.
Reply 10
Okay, well thanks everyone, I can see what you all mean. I will think about it and process the whole thing, see the pros & cons…
It has been really helpful :smile:

Original post by scrotgrot

Choice of uni only really matters for the very very top jobs - in which case you'll be too driven anyway to care much about "having fun with friends" - or when the unis are of markedly different tiers.

Can you expand on this please? :tongue:
Original post by Moosh22
Okay, well thanks everyone, I can see what you all mean. I will think about it and process the whole thing, see the pros & cons…
It has been really helpful :smile:

Can you expand on this please? :tongue:

Not sure I can but despite what your school and the marketing material and TSR probably tell you the differences between universities within the same broad tier are minute and what matters more is extra-curriculars and work experience. The only time university matters is for the most selective jobs like IB and when you are comparing universities from vastly different tiers.
As has been said, don't assume you'll have to work that much less at UCL or Warwick. The work will be comparable. I think people often overstate how large the workload is for most LSE subjects (excluding Law and Economics-related courses). The deal breaker might be the greater focus on independent study and less contact time which, depending on your working style, can make things more difficult.

UCL and Warwick aren't exactly a particularly noticeable step down.
Tbh I'm likely to be in a crazier situation than you; if LSE make me an offer following my UGAA exam, it's liekly that I'll actually make them my insurance versus a Uni who are 20 places lower in the specific subject rankings of what I want to study...

At the end of the day though, you have to go with your gut instinct!
Reply 14
Hi! I'm an international student. I'm doing physics undergrad at Oxford. If the main reason why you don't feel like going to LSE is the heavy workload I can tell you that yes, you have to study massive amounts during the term of exams but for the rest of the year the workload is fine. I have had plenty plenty of fun times and many of most memorable experiences. I'm on track for a first and I'm not a genius. So IF that's the only reason than I'd say go to LSE!
Going to UCL is also fine. But I'd say don't go to Warwick. It's definitely a cut below in terms of reputation outside of the UK.
Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending