The Student Room Group

Colorimetry vs quenching (rates)

Can you guys think of any pros/cons of colorimetry and quenching for follow the rate of a reaction (quenching is effectively multiple titrations where you pipette out some of the reacting mixture at set intervals and stop the reaction).

Because I am stumped!
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Original post by Davelittle
Can you guys think of any pros/cons of colorimetry and quenching for follow the rate of a reaction (quenching is effectively multiple titrations where you pipette out some of the reacting mixture at set intervals and stop the reaction).

Because I am stumped!

It depends quite a bit on what specific equipment you're using, but the starting point would be to think through exactly what you have to do for each method - some ideas:
-Colourimetry is easier to do since you just need to press a button every so often.
-Titrations are generally more reliable than colourimetry (at least in my experience!), because you know exactly what's going on, whereas the colourimetry machines can sometimes go a bit funny, and there's no easier way of spotting that.
-See what kind of precision and accuracy both methods give you.

There isn't really a huge amount to say - if you're actually getting data from them, see which gives you better results and then pick holes in the other method (and try to spot problems as you go along). :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Kooper
It depends quite a bit on what specific equipment you're using, but the starting point would be to think through exactly what you have to do for each method - some ideas:
-Colourimetry is easier to do since you just need to press a button every so often.
-Titrations are generally more reliable than colourimetry (at least in my experience!), because you know exactly what's going on, whereas the colourimetry machines can sometimes go a bit funny, and there's no easier way of spotting that.
-See what kind of precision and accuracy both methods give you.

There isn't really a huge amount to say - if you're actually getting data from them, see which gives you better results and then pick holes in the other method (and try to spot problems as you go along). :smile:

Thank you!

I included stuff about how titrations didn't let me investigate all the reactants, it only let me investigate one and also said about percentage error because I used small volumes in colorimetry!

Thank you again for your suggestions

Quick Reply

Latest