BTEC L3 Extd. Dip. IT - University progression?

Watch this thread
username1262182
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi everyone.

I'm currently doing a BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma, which leads into the extended diploma next year, but I'm a little bit uneasy with university progression with the course alone.

As I understand it as of now, my current predicted grade for my Sub Dip will be used with UCAS (Currently it's at Distinction* grade), but looking through prospectuses for university applications last year, a fair few uni's don't accept the BTEC on it's own (but would accept it alongside a science or maths A-level).

Some uni's accept the BTEC on it's own if it has the 'maths for IT practitioners' unit included, but according to the head of IT at my college, we're not doing that unit in next year (which is getting me slightly worried).

I have the option of taking up a maths AS for next term to go alongside my course, but it wouldn't be included in my actual UCAS application, so I'm concerned as to what to do..

Anyone able to lend some advice on the matter? I'd really appreciate it.
Guy from t'North
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Plenty of universities don't mind so much if you don't do maths A (or AS) level alongside the BTEC though it would certainly help your cause, though they do tend to like it if you do more programming focussed units. The universities I've been looking at generally only ask for a B at GCSE mathematics alongisde DDD at BTEC.

What universities are you looking at out of interest?
username1262182
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Guy from t'North)
Plenty of universities don't mind so much if you don't do maths A (or AS) level alongside the BTEC though it would certainly help your cause, though they do tend to like it if you do more programming focussed units. The universities I've been looking at generally only ask for a B at GCSE mathematics alongisde DDD at BTEC.

What universities are you looking at out of interest?
My main uni's of interest have been Kings College London, University College London, Manchester University, and Royal Holloway University of London.

Looking through the entry requirements, Royal Holloway accepts a DDD grade alongside a B at GCSE maths (i got an A), Manchester requires DMM with a B in a maths A-level, UCL doesn't list accepting BTEC's unless a maths A-level is combined with it, KCL is a bit more picky with BTEC's, DDD "including distinctions in the following modules: Information Systems and Computer Systems (compulsory) plus an additional two from: Database Design; Systems Analysis & Design; Mathematics for IT Practitioners; Software Design & Development or Event Driven Programming. Maths based courses will also be considered", I know I'm doing SA&D this year, and Database design next year, so I might be able to apply there too.

Those are my current 'main' universities which i have briefly looked at across the last two months, but I've not fully researched across the whole country, mainly in london. :P

Which Universities are you considering to apply to?
Guy from t'North
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Big-I)
My main uni's of interest have been Kings College London, University College London, Manchester University, and Royal Holloway University of London.

Looking through the entry requirements, Royal Holloway accepts a DDD grade alongside a B at GCSE maths (i got an A), Manchester requires DMM with a B in a maths A-level, UCL doesn't list accepting BTEC's unless a maths A-level is combined with it, KCL is a bit more picky with BTEC's, DDD "including distinctions in the following modules: Information Systems and Computer Systems (compulsory) plus an additional two from: Database Design; Systems Analysis & Design; Mathematics for IT Practitioners; Software Design & Development or Event Driven Programming. Maths based courses will also be considered", I know I'm doing SA&D this year, and Database design next year, so I might be able to apply there too.

Those are my current 'main' universities which i have briefly looked at across the last two months, but I've not fully researched across the whole country, mainly in london. :P

Which Universities are you considering to apply to?

I'm looking at Birmingham as an outside choice (D*D*D) - preferably with distinctions in objet-oriented and event driven programming units which I'm hoping to do next year. Nottingham (DDD) and Royal Holloway, with Aston (DDD) and Lincoln (DDM) as reserve choices. All require a B grade at GCSE mathematics except Lincoln.

From what I've seen you can get in to some good institutions without A level mathematics, though I'm sure it would be very beneficial. I'm doing level 3 mathematics in algebra to supplement by B grade at GCSE maths, so hopefully that should be enough!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (30)
21.43%
The paper was reasonable (64)
45.71%
Not feeling great about that exam... (31)
22.14%
It was TERRIBLE (15)
10.71%

Watched Threads