londoncricket
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi all,

I know that to get into the investment banking world, you should normally be an Analyst first, then Associate then wean your way into it, but which degrees would you get? Economics, Finance, Accounting or what?

I know that after a few years of working in the banking world, your work experience and previous jobs are more important than your degrees, but still? Which degree?

I have also heard that if you are in a top university, then you can have nearly any degree.
tengentoppa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ideally a quantitative degree. Languages are also a plus. If you go to Oxbridge it doesn't really matter what you do, as long as it's not something like music or art.
Bloxorus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Pretty much any degree will allow you to get into IB, and it's more important to go to a target uni (Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/UCL/Warwick) than to have a specific degree. But if you want to maximise your chances, economics, maths, engineering, finance etc are all good choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
londoncricket
Rep:
?
(Original post by tengentoppa)
Ideally a quantitative degree. Languages are also a plus. If you go to Oxbridge it doesn't really matter what you do, as long as it's not something like music or art.
Okay thanks!

(Original post by Bloxorus)
Pretty much any degree will allow you to get into IB, and it's more important to go to a target uni (Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/UCL/Warwick) than to have a specific degree. But if you want to maximise your chances, economics, maths, engineering, finance etc are all good choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So, if I take an economics degree, will that maximise my chances? From a good university?

Thanks!
Commercial Paper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by londoncricket)
Okay thanks!

So, if I take an economics degree, will that maximise my chances? From a good university?

Thanks!
From a target uni - any degree
From any other uni - the more relevant, the better

= maximising chances.

Maximising chances is a bit misleading as a part from avoiding your application getting filtered out, your degree will be useless from that point onwards and banks look at everything else you've done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
londoncricket
Rep:
?
(Original post by will2348)
From a target uni - any degree
From any other uni - the more relevant, the better

= maximising chances.

Maximising chances is a bit misleading as a part from avoiding your application getting filtered out, your degree will be useless from that point onwards and banks look at everything else you've done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I have heard of that; once you have five years or more of work experience and previous posts, that is way more important than your university degrees.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (160)
14.49%
I'm not sure (48)
4.35%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (328)
29.71%
I have already dropped out (32)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (536)
48.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise