ScarlettRose1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ultimately I would like to be an engineer, but i'm not sure what type specifically. I am definitely taking Maths and Physics. However, I am unsure whether to take
Maths, Physics, Product Design, Chemistry
Maths, Physics, Product Design, Spanish
Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Spanish

I am capable at all of the above subjects and feel as though I would do well in them. The only reason as to why I would take Spanish A-Level is because Universities see it as a good A-Level to have. But I am unsure on the combination.

Help would be very appreciated,

Kind regards,
Scarlett Rose
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lots of advice about Engineering courses here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/engineering_degree

Spanish is only worth taking if you intend to drop it after AS level or you think you can get a spectacularly good A2 grade in it. Otherwise, you'd find it far more useful sticking to obvious technical or science subjects.
ScarlettRose1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Lots of advice about Engineering courses here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/engineering_degree

Spanish is only worth taking if you intend to drop it after AS level or you think you can get a spectacularly good A2 grade in it. Otherwise, you'd find it far more useful sticking to obvious technical or science subjects.

Thank you very much for your advice after consideration I will take chemistry and spanish and drop spanish as AS Level.
Xyloid
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aslong as you've got Maths and Physics a University will be more than satisfied.

Product Design would is more relevant over Spanish in my opinion and so is Chemistry. At the end of the day Universities want to train industry ready Engineers and don't care about whether your fourth A-Level is in Spanish or Product design.

I did Maths, Physics and Chemistry and i know friends who did alternatives. But the vast majority ALL have Maths and Physics. Chemistry, Spanish and Product Design are all respectable A-Levels and it doesn't really matter which two you choose.
BlueReptiles
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maths, physics, chemistry and further maths if your school offers it
ohdaisy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ScarlettRose1)
Ultimately I would like to be an engineer, but i'm not sure what type specifically. I am definitely taking Maths and Physics. However, I am unsure whether to take
Maths, Physics, Product Design, Chemistry
Maths, Physics, Product Design, Spanish
Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Spanish

I am capable at all of the above subjects and feel as though I would do well in them. The only reason as to why I would take Spanish A-Level is because Universities see it as a good A-Level to have. But I am unsure on the combination.

Help would be very appreciated,

Kind regards,
Scarlett Rose
DON'T TAKE SPANISH IT WILL KILL YOUR SOUL.
-from someone that made a spectacular mistake in attempting to take it on at AS after gaining an A* at GCSE
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It really depends on which type of engineering you want to do. Maths, physics, product design and chemistry would be my personal choice for mechanical engineering and is probably quite good for "mechanically based" and "chemically based" degrees too.

Maths is essential. Physics is highly beneficial (and it will make you familiar with many of the equations you'll use).

Product design is very handy as you will no doubt do a fair bit of practical work - Knowing the right tools, design processes, materials, etc, is going to give you a major benefit. I use maths and "physics" about 70-80% of the time during mechanical engineering, and the rest is "design" topics and a lot of report writing. In the first year it was very clear which people just simply had no idea how to use tools - They made crappy cuts and their parts were not to the right shape nor dimension. There is more to engineering than just theory.

I use a little bit of chemistry but mostly moles and molar things. It is probably useful in understanding some materials properties too.

Spanish is not going to be necessary, so you could do more with your time than that. However, if it's of major importance to you, still consider it. Chemistry isn't used much in my degree and Spanish is just used even less, so it draws the short straw.

Electronics would also be a beneficial subject, as would further maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (31)
11.31%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (153)
55.84%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (42)
15.33%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (42)
15.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
2.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed