GCSE AQA German - Speaking Exam - Pronunciation questions

Watch this thread
Subspace
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Okay, so I have my speaking exam coming up on Thursday. I know 5/6 of the paragraphs very well and I'm still working on learning the last one inside-out (100% future and conditional tense and slightly more complex) but I have some questions regarding pronunciation.

Sure, I'm a tad bit late on saying this, but could anyone tell me if I'm pronouncing the following words correctly:

• ich - I've pronounced it like a 'ick' for 2 years and my German teacher hasn't said anything about it, but I see some people pronounce it like 'ish', so I'm not sure how this is pronounced.
  • werde - I pronunce this like 'vehr-duh' where the -ehr sounds similar to pronouncing 'sehr'.
  • würde - I pronounce this like 'vohr-duh'

Thanks
Tosca
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
In Berlin Germans say ICK but everywhere else it is pronounced ISH.

I think your on the right track!
MidnightDream
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Ick is fine , and I think your pronunciation of the other two are correct
asdef-
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Personally for me, both ick and ish are wrong. People in Berlin do indeed say "ick" and they're not particularly loved for it elsewhere. If you listen to J.F.K.'s famous speech, he says "Ish bin ein Berliner", which was wrong.

I would suggest you use this website

http://www.dict.cc/?s=ich (click the audio sign on the "German" side and choose one that isn't a computer, the flags indicate the person's nationality)

That will also work for the other words in question. Good luck in your exam!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.23%
The paper was reasonable (134)
36.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.67%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.29%

Watched Threads