Cheapest airline to travel to Germany with?

Watch this thread
username1155226
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello, planning to go to Berlin in September for the Scotland game, all flights I've checked are in excess of 200 quid (one way!). Has anyone ever travelled to Germany, which airline did you travel with?

Also, I am going with a few friends for five days or so and we are looking to do other things as well as the football, can anyone reccomend other things to do in Berlin?

Thanks a lot!
Markg125
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MichGaughan97)
Hello, planning to go to Berlin in September for the Scotland game, all flights I've checked are in excess of 200 quid (one way!). Has anyone ever travelled to Germany, which airline did you travel with?

Also, I am going with a few friends for five days or so and we are looking to do other things as well as the football, can anyone reccomend other things to do in Berlin?

Thanks a lot!

Hi, you're problem can be easily fixed by typing into google SkyScanner. I use them to book all my flights and they always get me really good deals. Hope you enjoy Berlin, I myself am going to Germany, Munich soon!
matt_g96
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
probably Lufthansa
Xyloid
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
£200 one way ? That's outrageous.

I flew to Berlin in August from Bristol for somewhere around £95 for a return with Easyjet.

In my experience, if you book flights very far in advance they can actually be quite expensive so it may be worth looking around May/June time.

If you're flying from the UK you should have no problem at all getting a return with either Easyjet or Ryanair for around £100 or less. September isn't a particularly expensive time of the year to fly, but it's not the cheapest either.

I'd avoid using comparison sites like Skyscanner personally because i've noticed difference in prices between them and the actual website when booking before. I've never booked through them and always paid reasonable amounts for flights.
The-Dream
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Where are you getting £200 one way from haha? I think about 2 months before is normally the best time to book it pricewise so you might just be looking a bit early.

I'm going to Berlin from Gatwick on Friday for £35 each way. Easyjet is generally the cheapest from London but just look on Skyscanner to find the cheapest.

What airport do you want to travel from?
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
If you're flying to Berlin from Scotland because the Scotland national team are playing, of course flights are going to be expensive! Supply and demand: more people want to fly, the plane seat becomes more scarce, the price goes up.

Because your itinerary is quite specific, I'd recommend looking into ways to tweak it a bit: maybe get the train down to Manchester and fly from there, or fly to somewhere like Frankfurt, Bremen, Hamburg or even Warsaw and get the train to Berlin. Trains in Germany are generally very good and cheaper than in the UK for the equivalent distance.
Trip506
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I regularly fly there although not from Scotland. Flybe can be good although ive noticed their prices slowly rise. Easjyjet are also really good generally. British Airways can sometimes do some cheap ones too. Also to the above poster, trains in Germany arent exactly cheaper than in UK. On par at least I would say. If you do end up taking trains then I would say go with Metronom as its generally the cheapest train company I find. All ticket machines have an English option and most people in cities speak good English so you should be fine if you dont speak any German. Viel Glück
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Trip506)
I regularly fly there although not from Scotland. Flybe can be good although ive noticed their prices slowly rise. Easjyjet are also really good generally. British Airways can sometimes do some cheap ones too. Also to the above poster, trains in Germany arent exactly cheaper than in UK. On par at least I would say. If you do end up taking trains then I would say go with Metronom as its generally the cheapest train company I find. All ticket machines have an English option and most people in cities speak good English so you should be fine if you dont speak any German. Viel Glück
They definitely are, as long as you don't rock up and try to catch the ICE across the country. Trains in Great Britain are horribly expensive for the distance.
starlight4711
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Ryanair is also very cheap (return ticket for under 100, last time I bought one for £ 45 return) . You should however bear in mind that although Ryanair is very cheap, you will have restrictions on your luggage. You are only allowed to take one handbag or suitcase under 20 kg otherwise you would have to pay. On board you will not get anything for free either, you even have to pay for a glass of water. In my opinion Ryanair (or Easyjet) is the cheapest (compared to Lufthansa, British Airways etc.), but it depends what you find easier. Also, no Ryanair flight goes from Heathrow, you would have to go to Stansted/Luton/(Gatwick).
The-Dream
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
They definitely are, as long as you don't rock up and try to catch the ICE across the country. Trains in Great Britain are horribly expensive for the distance.
So are trains in Germany between the major cities.
asdef-
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
If your main intention is to travel cheap, I would recommend using RyanAir to Bremen and then use a bus to Berlin. RyanAir goes from Edinburgh to Bremen and back for around 65-70 pounds (in the times I checked in Sep). A tram to the city centre where both the trains and buses would depart towards Berlin is 2.50 EUR (2 pounds), the cheapest bus fare to Berlin is between 7 and 20 EUR (15 pounds should get you there). So you're at 70 (flight) + 30 (bus) + 4 (tram) = 104 pounds.

The buses are fine, they're all new and take around 4 hours to Berlin. All that changing is quite stressful though, if you ask me.

For the flights to Berlin directly, the cheapest I've found was ~ 200 pounds (return). Probably worth it...if you're not a fan of stress.
Chocolatesoup
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

Thanks a lot!
Easyjet is £60 odd each way, so around £140 in total. (i just put sept in, dont know the date of the game)

dont go with the typical british airways type airlines, if you just wanna get there and the actual flight isnt important to you (like getting on a train with a normal ticket and not first class) then go with the low cost airlines.
standreams
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Skyscanner (while not always accurate) is the best bet.

It allows you to be flexible with entry/arrival points and dates. If you are fixed on specific dates but can be flexible in your departure/arrival airports then you need to choose the 'UK all' and/or 'Germany all' options. Or you can select the entire month and fixed departure and/or arrival points, or both flexible dates and destinations.

By doing this, you might find that it is cheaper to fly to Leipzig and take a train to Berlin, or to fly from Newcastle rather than Edinburgh, or to fly a day earlier (obviously the additional accommodation/transport costs need to be factored in).

As a previous poster said, it's all about supply and demand. If lots of Scotland fans are going to descend on Berlin on a particular day, you can bet that flights from Scotland are going to be more expensive than those from English airports. You can also bet that flights to Berlin are likely to be more expensive than those to other German cities. The more flexibility you can have, the better the choice of fares you'll find.

It's not always the case that airline x is cheaper than airline y. I have booked my flights for the Berlin Marathon (not until September, but booked in December as the prices are only going to go up) and the cheapest option was to fly BA from Heathrow. Budget airlines were more expensive.
tehFrance
Badges: 17
Report 8 years ago

Thanks a lot!
Fly AirBerlin best and cheapest airline of Germany, and join their frequent flyer programme (or join Etihad Guest) while your about it.

Lufthansa was previously good but for some reason, they're in decline :sad:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.69%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.25%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
4.82%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.87%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.89%

Watched Threads