The Student Room Group

Tiny calves

I've been going to the gym for about 4 months and one thing I've noticed is that my calves are the same size as they were before I started working out. I do 4 sets 12 reps of calf raises on the leg press machine on leg day but they don't grow at all. Can anyone tell me which calf exercises I should be doing and for how many sets/reps? And how many times a week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Reps4Jesus
I've been going to the gym for about 4 months and one thing I've noticed is that my calves are the same size as they were before I started working out. I do 4 sets 12 reps of calf raises on the leg press machine on leg day but they don't grow at all. Can anyone tell me which calf exercises I should be doing and for how many sets/reps? And how many times a week?

Posted from TSR Mobile

how big are they

whats your height
Reply 2
Haven't measured them

I'm 6"1

They're practically non-existent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Haven't measured them

I'm 6"1

They're practically non-existent

Posted from TSR Mobile

tall person feels.

protip: don't use a machine.

use a power rack, and load up some serious weight
Reply 4
So standing calf raises then?

Should I stand on plates for a longer ROM?

And should my negatives be like 5 seconds long?

I enjoy laying out posts like you do, Teh Forum.

It's fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
So standing calf raises then?

Should I stand on plates for a longer ROM?

And should my negatives be like 5 seconds long?

I enjoy laying out posts like you do, Teh Forum.

It's fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile

no clue

In One Ear
x

Short and sweet on a forum is key.
Reply 6
what's wrong with leg press machine for calf raises? Much easier to control the movement.

OP lots of people have the same problem with calves, and lots of people say that calves need more volume and frequency to grow, ie. a few sets every workout.

For me that helped them grow a bit but still not much. I just gave up and accepted that I'll always have pathetic calves. :frown:
How much are u lifting with calves?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arturo Bandini
I just gave up and accepted that I'll always have pathetic calves. :frown:

Never give up, just try different things, they will grow, just like any other muscle.
Just train them several times a week for years and years with high volume...They will improve, but genetics mean the most when it comes to calves.

Mine are also crap, they should be better than they are...but due to various injuries they're awful.
Original post by 19Dan89
Never give up, just try different things, they will grow, just like any other muscle.

Bingo. Any muscle can grow, if it isn't then it's not that it won't - it's just that what you're doing now isn't working. Different exercises, rep ranges, volumes and frequencies can all be experimented with.
Do you have access to a calf press machine? Maybe, you could try to hold for ten seconds or so between each rep, repeating for a few sets. Remember to not bend at the knees though.

Leg presses are good to increase strength in the legs generally, but to focus on the calves and not the hamstrings as much, you need to avoid being too close; go too close and it will just work the upper hamstrings. Make sure you don't lock the knees and use your toes to get a full press extension. Maybe also try one leg at a time, when doing presses, but remember to work both legs equally.

Just a few other things though. Maybe you could try a 5km cycle on 'non-leg days', followed by a few 1km sprint-cycles. It will work the hamstrings, but should build up the leg generally.

Final question, are you getting enough protein in order to put on muscle?
(edited 10 years ago)
[video="youtube;56MZjPykQ7A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56MZjPykQ7A[/video]

Wear trackies. Problem solved.

Oh also, natural big calves crew checking in. ujelly?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Arturo Bandini
what's wrong with leg press machine for calf raises? Much easier to control the movement.

OP lots of people have the same problem with calves, and lots of people say that calves need more volume and frequency to grow, ie. a few sets every workout.

For me that helped them grow a bit but still not much. I just gave up and accepted that I'll always have pathetic calves. :frown:

I'll try doing a set or two for cables 3 times a week or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by jammy4041
Do you have access to a calf press machine? Maybe, you could try to hold for ten seconds or so between each rep, repeating for a few sets. Remember to not bend at the knees though.

Leg presses are good to increase strength in the legs generally, but to focus on the calves and not the hamstrings as much, you need to avoid being too close; go too close and it will just work the upper hamstrings. Make sure you don't lock the knees and use your toes to get a full press extension. Maybe also try one leg at a time, when doing presses, but remember to work both legs equally.

Just a few other things though. Maybe you could try a 5km cycle on 'non-leg days', followed by a few 1km sprint-cycles. It will work the hamstrings, but should build up the leg generally.

Final question, are you getting enough protein in order to put on muscle?

Nope no calf raise machine. Just leg presses and a rack to do standing calf raises.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest