The Student Room Group

Would you break up with your partner if they were unable to have children?

I was discussing this with two girls the other day and they said they would but me and another guy said we wouldn't. They said if you were young but had been with them for about 4 years and thought that down the line you'd marry them but you knew that you couldn't have children together. The girls said firstly, if the woman was unable to have children what would you do, me and the other guy said we'd stay with them. Then they said if it was the guy they'd bail and find another husband because they were hypothetically 21 at the time and would be able to find another suitable husband. Pretty harsh if you apparently love your partner enough to marry them can't really call that love then can you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no i would stay with them regardless
Reply 2
I think that if you love someone then you'd stay with them regardless. If children are make or break, I think that brings up the question are they really in a relationship for love?
Adoption is still a beautiful thing.
Reply 5
Of course not. We'd adopt if we had to.
Reply 6
I've no interest in having kids so I wouldn't be bothered.
Reply 7
If I really wanted children I would try and find a way round it but if adoption or sperm donor wasn't an option I'd go. I don't want kids though so really I wouldn't give a crap.
I'd stay no matter what :smile:
Reply 9
No, I don't want children so it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
Not at all, I'd actually prefer it :smile:
Reply 11
I'd stay.

Hope that technology advances to a stage where it's possible for us to have children, or adopt.
I'd adopt or find a surrogate. I wouldn't leave my partner for something like that.
I can think of few things I want less than kids. Maybe a dog, chronic haemorrhoids and syphilis.

Inability to have kids wouldn't be a remotely negative thing, unless she wanted to adopt instead.
Reply 14
I'd stay, I don't want kids and this would actually be a good thing. For me anyway.
Reply 15
No as I'm infertile myself lol
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous
I was discussing this with two girls the other day and they said they would but me and another guy said we wouldn't. They said if you were young but had been with them for about 4 years and thought that down the line you'd marry them but you knew that you couldn't have children together. The girls said firstly, if the woman was unable to have children what would you do, me and the other guy said we'd stay with them. Then they said if it was the guy they'd bail and find another husband because they were hypothetically 21 at the time and would be able to find another suitable husband. Pretty harsh if you apparently love your partner enough to marry them can't really call that love then can you?

Had i been with the girl a while and was fully in love then maybe.

I would likely however end it, i have no idea why but in recent years its become much more important to me to father a genetic heir and as harsh as it sounds i'd view it like a disability, if we're honest i wonder how many people would actually be with a women who'd be in a wheelchair before 40 and that's kind of how i'd look at infertility.
Reply 17
I'd stay because children are icky.
I'd stay since I don't think I want kids. Even if I did I'd adopt.
Id adopt. Don't know if I could be with a guy that didnt want them though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending