The Student Room Group

opinions on revision plan pls

hi so my exams are coming up and this is how I plan on revising, I need opinions on whether it is good or not, I'm not really sure if I'm audio or visual learner but yeah anyways

chemistry - make key notes, learn them, do past papers and look at mark schemes to see what they're looking for.

geography - same as chemistry

english lit - pretty much same as chemistry but people say to read the book again, should I do this?

english lang - I'm terrible with timing so I will do past papers and time myself doing each question, I'll keep practicing until I can complete all the questions in the time allowed

maths - I have a tutor but I will do past papers by myself and do a lot of practice on the A/A* questions

biology - same as chemistry

physics - same as chemistry

spanish - I hardly do revision for spanish but i manage to get A/B on the listening and reading, I would really like to get an A/A*, how can I achieve this?

Art - not a subject I can revise for haha

RE - same as chemistry

if you know of any better ways to revise pls mention :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I think your the way you're revising for chemistry will be very helpful, however everyone is different so i may not be the right person to advise you but anyway, all the sciences id say you're revising well for. However for English lit., i wouldn't say the way you revise chemistry is the way. I would say use websites such as http://www.sparknotes.com/ and http://www.yorknotes.com/ to really improve what you're revising. Furthermore, for Spanish all you can really do is revise a lot for it (reading over pieces of writing and learning as much vocab as possible and all the conjugations so you can fit the infinitives around any tense or context. For maths, practice questions, i find is always the best way to learn it, as non of the questions involves you writing long winded sentences, maths is black and white (in other words there IS a right and wrong answer) unlike RE (or RS as i like to say) where there is a lot based on your beliefs, i usually find that, unless its a knowledge test (which it never is), as long as you can explain your opinions and back it up with good and thought out reasons (they usually like bible references with your answer) then you should be able to get a decent mar in your exam. So what i'm saying for RE, is to work on explaining and once you've done that, practice questions all the way to build up confidence (practice questions for all subjects btw).
Physics, make sure you revise those equations, although they are given to you its best to know what you'e talking about.

Hope this helps you :smile:
Reply 2
Doge is always helpful lol #teamdoge..

past papers are always good,

am i to assume you can achieve A* in you spanish courseworks? there's no straight way to A* a reading/listening exam... just keep learning new and revise old grammar till you know it when you read it, past papers will also help to help you to understand how to read spanish.. some have transcripts as well.. reading spanish anywhere and deciphering what the article etc. says will help, also listen to spanish...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bobjim12
Doge is always helpful lol #teamdoge..

past papers are always good,

am i to assume you can achieve A* in you spanish courseworks? there's no straight way to A* a reading/listening exam... just keep learning new and revise old grammar till you know it when you read it, past papers will also help to help you to understand how to read spanish.. some have transcripts as well.. reading spanish anywhere and deciphering what the article etc. says will help, also listen to spanish...

I can achieve A's in coursework but i'm not sure about A*s, I'm not too bothered about getting an A* in spanish, I would like an A though:smile: sometimes my teacher randomly gives us past papers without even telling us and I've managed to get A's on them. Thanks for your help:biggrin:

such help, much thanks #teamdoge
Reply 4
Original post by bubblegumcat
I can achieve A's in coursework but i'm not sure about A*s, I'm not too bothered about getting an A* in spanish, I would like an A though:smile: sometimes my teacher randomly gives us past papers without even telling us and I've managed to get A's on them. Thanks for your help:biggrin:

such help, much thanks #teamdoge

very welcome, wow.
Reply 5
Any gcse revision plan that isn't just read and learn the CGP books (and past papers of course) is lacking in CGP. They're not perfect or available for every subject but for sciences they're amazing. For spanish the key to reading and listening is mostly expanding your vocabulary. Practising speaking with your teacher about all the topics and asking them for words you find yourself missing is a great way to learn this actively.

Seriously though, those CGP books.
Original post by seaholme
Any gcse revision plan that isn't just read and learn the CGP books (and past papers of course) is lacking in CGP. They're not perfect or available for every subject but for sciences they're amazing. For spanish the key to reading and listening is mostly expanding your vocabulary. Practising speaking with your teacher about all the topics and asking them for words you find yourself missing is a great way to learn this actively.

Seriously though, those CGP books.

oh yeah I heard those cgp books are quite good, I definitely plan on getting one, it's really odd because my school ordered so many cgp books for science but they were given to the year 9's, it really annoys me as I think the year 11's need it the most. Thanks for the help do you know any good revision books for other subjects? :smile:
Reply 7
not sure how strong your english is but remember to make a list of different techniques

e.g personification = human characteristics to non-human object

the tree cried in pain

:smile:

for maths = questions and lots of them :smile:
Original post by Padwas
not sure how strong your english is but remember to make a list of different techniques

e.g personification = human characteristics to non-human object

the tree cried in pain

:smile:

for maths = questions and lots of them :smile:

thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest