The Student Room Group

Are face to face dates dead?

I'm just wondering.

Technology is always in the way for me because when technology like text and Facebook and Whatapp are included which all girls these days seem to insist on using in my experience, there's always games and more in the way of getting to know someone face to face. It's hard to see people for what they are using just technology.

IMO I don't see the point in a 2 week and week long messaging game. You get girls asking 'do you have WhatsApp?' That question is always rings the 'time waster' alarm bells. For example: We text constantly and I call her and we get along well for a few days, but when i ask if she wants to join me at lunch for an chilled out informal afternoon coffee in a busy city centre it's like I've asked her if she'd jump in a shark tank with me or something.

I hate technology. I honestly think technology has destroyed dating for the average man. There's a lot more things like Facebook around to judge people, but you don't get to know the real person unless you meet them for real. That means instead of being yourself, you have to think like someone who works in marketing and display the right image

*they say women liken men who look like fun and social types online! but that works against me. My circle when we're around never take many photos and all that.

I'd have loved to have lived in the days where you had to use phone boxes and you had to bring a pen around with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
So one girl rejected you and you think technology is destroying the process of dating?
Reply 2
I share an office with four men all of whom are between ten and twenty-five years my senior; 'technology' is pretty much my only recourse.
Reply 3
Original post by KJane
So one girl rejected you and you think technology is destroying the process of dating?

No it's reflecting on all of my experiences in general. Older women it's can be less of a problem, but younger women are worse for it, looking at my current experience. I know not all women are the same. Just sayian.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by datpiff
I'm just wondering.

Technology is always in the way for me because when technology like text and Facebook and Whatapp are included which all girls these days seem to insist on using in my experience, there's always games and more in the way of getting to know someone face to face. It's hard to see people for what they are using just technology.

IMO I don't see the point in a 2 week and week long messaging game. You get girls asking 'do you have WhatsApp?' That question is always rings the 'time waster' alarm bells. For example: We text constantly and I call her and we get along well for a few days, but when i ask if she wants to join me at lunch for an chilled out informal afternoon coffee in a busy city centre it's like I've asked her if she'd jump in a shark tank with me or something.

I hate technology. I honestly think technology has destroyed dating for the average man. There's a lot more things like Facebook around to judge people, but you don't get to know the real person unless you meet them for real. That means instead of being yourself, you have to think like someone who works in marketing and display the right image

I'd have loved to have lived in the days where you had to use phone boxes and you had to bring a pen around with you.

Yeah... Sorry, but that just means she enjoys texting you, likes the attention, but doesn't actually want to date you. I don't think any girls don't ever want to meet men, and just use their phones as a substitute for any human interaction.

I kinda agree, I'm an awful texter, much better face to face, but it's adapt or die I'm afraid. Just keep asking girls to meet up, and if they like you, they'll say yes.
Or perhaps she just wants to be friends without the worry of you making a move on her, is shy/self conscious or is just a really busy person?

I met my bf online. He's a nerdy, antisocial sort. I go to his house once a month or every 2-3 months depending on what our work schedules are like and rely on text or email in between. We started out inboxing, then I gave him my number then met up with him 200 miles away and that was that. We don't go on dates but we have a nice week of video games, weed and sex. You'll find a girl who wants to come over to yours to enjoy 'thatpiff' and fall in love eventually. Actually the best way to connect with anyone is invite them over to smoke...
(edited 10 years ago)
In London, we text girls that don't speak English well. They conv. English isn't good enough for call. If you use text, you suddenly have more girls you can try to impress (and do something).
Reply 7
Original post by KICHMYARSE
In London, we text girls that don't speak English well. They conv. English isn't good enough for call. If you use text, you suddenly have more girls you can try to impress (and do something).

Why would you wanna date a girl that doesn't speak good English? Obviously she can learn, but the relationship isn't looking good from the start.

I just dislike all the online crap you gave to go through to have a face to face conversation with people. A date isn't anything serious for me. It's just chilling with someone you don't know having a chat and getting to know them a bit better. I don't even say date when I ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
Why would you wanna date a girl that doesn't speak good English? Obviously she can learn, but the relationship isn't looking good from the start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's fun to exchange naughty texts. I am not necessarily looking for relationship all the time. Just fun time to kill some time or relax in the evening.
Reply 9
If a girl would rather reblog **** on tumblr or like for like on Facebook then she is of no loss to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spaghetti
If a girl would rather reblog **** on tumblr or like for like on Facebook then she is of no loss to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean to say if she'd rather do that than go on a proper date

Posted from TSR Mobile
No.
I hate texting. I would much rather meet up with someone and talk rather than hide behind a phone/screen.
Wat..
Reply 14
Original post by Mankytoes

I kinda agree, I'm an awful texter, much better face to face, but it's adapt or die I'm afraid. Just keep asking girls to meet up, and if they like you, they'll say yes.

That's how I feel. It's depressing. I can't do much about it and it's adapt or die but adapting is hard as hell. I feel like a salesman.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff
That's how I feel. It's depressing. I can't do much about it and it's adapt or die but adapting is hard as hell. I feel like a salesman.

It sounds like you've just been a bit unlucky. Most girls like the attention, they like their phone beeping and chatting, even if there isn't much to say. Just keep those ticking over, and push for face to face meets. I think what your saying is actually a good line to use if you phrase it a bit more positively- "I think it's silly when people mess around with texting all the time, I like meeting up and actually spending time with a girl, that way you can really get to know someone", I think most girls would like hearing that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending