The Student Room Group

When is sexual abuse, abuse?

I just wondered since the advert I see on the television makes it unclear which is quite bad but I wanted opinions on it.

Lets say for example I am not in the mood and a girlfriend wants to have sex and pesters me to the point of removing my underwear, is that then abuse as that has happened to me before, is a not bothered attitude the same as liking sex but being tired and you give in to the request since you still dont want to do it you just think its the quickest way out of a situtation and even then I dont think its clear since a relationship could mean that the two people see it as more flirting and not being forceful others could automatically assume its forceful even if no force is used.

Some things are more clear cut, I remember one time I found out a girl had unzipped my trousers as I slept on her sofa asleep and touched me and I assume more and I see that as abuse since consent could not be given or changed at any time.

The general idea here to me is what would be abuse, because if its not made clear then I could say I have been abused many times and I have accidently abused a partner without even realizing it and even going out of my way to be nice.
Hi
I am really glad you asked this as I think it's probably something that a lot of people are unsure about. The adverts were made to try to help people understand this more - but you really need to look at the accompanying website to get the full picture. This is a link and should help explain what rape and sexual assault are and also what consent means:

http://thisisabuse.direct.gov.uk/worried-about-abuse/view/rape-sexual-assault/consent

The incident where a girl touched you when you are asleep is sexual assault as you were not able to consent. It is also not ok to pester someone to have sex as this may mean people go ahead with something that they are really not comfortable doing and do not want to do, so therefore they do not have true consent.

Have a look at the site and let me know if you have any more questions,
take care
Jo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending