The Student Room Group

SAM'S Study Tips for 2014

Scroll to see replies

SAM's Study tips 33: Know how the exam works - review previous and sample questions to prepare you for the next one.
SAM's Study tips 34: Vary the subjects you revise in an evening, starting with the one you hate and finishing with the one you like best.
SAM’s Study tips 35: Where you study has a huge effect on the quality of revision: quiet places, good lighting, and no noise distractions.
SAM's Study tips 36: A clear head will hold more facts. Try to focus on the text before you rather than the exam before you.
SAM’s Study tips 37: Memorising quotes, dates, formulae is easier if you can memorise the context.
SAM's Study tips 38: Believe you are capable of passing - you wouldn't be sitting the exam if you didn't have the ability.
SAM's Study tips 39: Exams are a one-off, a right of passage. In years to come you'll look back and smile - if you put the work in now.
Original post by lala4
Hi SAM,

I just found out that i was given a C for my Interdisciplinary project for the social science baccalaureate. I really do think i deserve a better grade, even a B! My assessor/co assessor have never marked the projects before and they were verified by the science baccalaureate assessor.

Can the SQA give me a better grade if they think i deserve it when marked?

I wouldn't be optimistic, but let me ask someone with more expertise in this. I'll get back to you.
Original post by mysqa
SAM's Study tips 39: Exams are a one-off, a right of passage. In years to come you'll look back and smile - if you put the work in now.

a bit panicky now, can you reassure me that it's not too late ? :frown:
Original post by Bromaldehyde

It's not too late at all. Just get your head down and get working hard now. Sort yourself out a revision plan taking into consideration everything you need to do before your exams and when your exams are. You'll be fine! :h:
Original post by Bromaldehyde

As Ecosse says, it certainly is not too late. It's amazing the amount of knowledge you can retain if you study properly. But I wouldn't be leaving it much longer - lunchtime at the latest.
Original post by lala4
Hi SAM,

I just found out that i was given a C for my Interdisciplinary project for the social science baccalaureate. I really do think i deserve a better grade, even a B! My assessor/co assessor have never marked the projects before and they were verified by the science baccalaureate assessor.

Can the SQA give me a better grade if they think i deserve it when marked?

Hi, here's the word from on high: "All baccalaureate centres will be subject to verification activity. The purpose is to ensure that sole candidates are addressed to national standard. Where we have identified issues, we will ask centres to review grades."

In short, your school, like all others will be assessed to ensure they are assessing you properly. If you have a real issue, raise it with your school to ensure their practices are in line with expectations.
SAM’s Study tops 40: You can never revise enough. BUT you can revise too much. Recognise when you’re full, take a break, then go back to it.
So that's the Study Tips finished. If you've got any others, post them here. Meanwhile, starting today - SAM's EXAM TIPS!

SAM's Exam Tips No 1: Don't be late. Do be prepared - pen, check; pencil, check; calculator, check; lucky Yoda action figure, check...
SAM's Exam tips 2: Use the same pens etc. you normally use in class. This can be a small psychological booster - use new pens for spares.
SAM's Exam tips 3: RTQ. ATQ. (My good upbringing forces me to leave out the "F").
SAM’s Exam tips 4: In maths, attempt all questions. Even if you can't do the harder later parts, the early bits should be easy marks.
SAM’s Exam tips 5: Do not repeat the question, the examiner knows what it is. Just go straight into the answer - which could be one word.
SAM’s Exam tips 6: Get a good night's sleep. Do not stay up till all hours revising unless you feel this is vital - in which case, why???
SAM’s Exam tips 7: Think of exam day as just another school or college day - you'll be more relaxed that way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending