Lamalam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Name:  6CH05_01_que_20110131_Page_16.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  152.6 KBFor q (ii) can I use NaCl??my teacher said that i was wrong. why can't I? coz i though its ok when the compound contains Cl- and ligand exchange can occur.

thank you!!
Ari Ben Canaan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lamalam)
Name:  6CH05_01_que_20110131_Page_16.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  152.6 KBFor q (ii) can I use NaCl??my teacher said that i was wrong. why can't I? coz i though its ok when the compound contains Cl- and ligand exchange can occur.

thank you!!
I dont think your answer is incorrect. Having said that, it is probably not the most correct answer. Let me explain.

Dissolving NaCl along with your compound would provide the necessary Cl- ions to effect ligand exchange. However, if you used conc. HCl you would need to add far less (compared to the amount of NaCl required) in order to do the same thing.

I've done similar experiments as an undergraduate but with more complex organometals and it's easier in a laboratory setting to simply add two or three drops of very concentrated HCl versus a few grams of NaCl.

It all comes down to effectivity at the end of the day.

You could relate this to Le Chatlier's principle where in the huge amount of Cl- ions from HCl drives the 'equilibrium' towards formation of your product.
Lamalam
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Ari Ben Canaan)
I dont think your answer is incorrect. Having said that, it is probably not the most correct answer. Let me explain.

Dissolving NaCl along with your compound would provide the necessary Cl- ions to effect ligand exchange. However, if you used conc. HCl you would need to add far less (compared to the amount of NaCl required) in order to do the same thing.

I've done similar experiments as an undergraduate but with more complex organometals and it's easier in a laboratory setting to simply add two or three drops of very concentrated HCl versus a few grams of NaCl.

It all comes down to effectivity at the end of the day.

You could relate this to Le Chatlier's principle where in the huge amount of Cl- ions from HCl drives the 'equilibrium' towards formation of your product.
Thank you !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (142)
60.17%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.66%
No- I want it (66)
27.97%
No- I don't want it (17)
7.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise