The Student Room Group

Fitness to Practice

So I've been applying to pharmacy schools in my UCAS application and got 3 offers back. However I've read into my offers a bit more and realised that there would be a Fitness to Practice forms to fill out, health and conduct.

My conduct is fine, never been cautioned or arrested and never cheated. But my health one could slightly impair me because 2 years ago I went to the doctors for depression after a family member died and I admitted to cannabis use for a month. It went down on my medical record but my GP specifically stated that I stopped drug use on my medical record.

I wasn't on an anti-depressants and pretty much things cleared up after that month since it was the first time I've really experienced someone close to me pass away.

I have been drug free since and have gotten along perfectly fine in my life since that incident. I did ask my GP if it would void me for employment in the healthcare profession and he insisted that it wouldn't.

Slightly worried at the moment now since I will have to fill out the forms before the university can give me an unconditional offer, am I in risk of being rejected or will I have to go through occupational health screening at the worst?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I've been applying to pharmacy schools in my UCAS application and got 3 offers back. However I've read into my offers a bit more and realised that there would be a Fitness to Practice forms to fill out, health and conduct.

My conduct is fine, never been cautioned or arrested and never cheated. But my health one could slightly impair me because 2 years ago I went to the doctors for depression after a family member died and I admitted to cannabis use for a month. It went down on my medical record but my GP specifically stated that I stopped drug use on my medical record.

I wasn't on an anti-depressants and pretty much things cleared up after that month since it was the first time I've really experienced someone close to me pass away.

I have been drug free since and have gotten along perfectly fine in my life since that incident. I did ask my GP if it would void me for employment in the healthcare profession and he insisted that it wouldn't.

Slightly worried at the moment now since I will have to fill out the forms before the university can give me an unconditional offer, am I in risk of being rejected or will I have to go through occupational health screening at the worst?

For your health clearance it's usually a short letter off your GP or a questionnaire sent from the university's occy health where they cover any conditions that could be exacerbated by working in your role or could harm patients. They don't really fish for detailed information unless there's something highlighted as an issue and even then a history of smoking a bit of cannabis wouldn't really exclude you from working in healthcare. As this is medical information it's unlikely anyone outside of your doc or occy health would have access to this information.
Reply 2
Original post by moonkatt
For your health clearance it's usually a short letter off your GP or a questionnaire sent from the university's occy health where they cover any conditions that could be exacerbated by working in your role or could harm patients. They don't really fish for detailed information unless there's something highlighted as an issue and even then a history of smoking a bit of cannabis wouldn't really exclude you from working in healthcare. As this is medical information it's unlikely anyone outside of your doc or occy health would have access to this information.

Thank you for the reassurance, other than that I don't have any major medical issues.

One final question, do potential employers, specifically in the community/clinical pharmacy sector have stringent medical record checks? Or just the NHS in general if you're not 100% sure about it, thanks anyhows for clearing that up! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for the reassurance, other than that I don't have any major medical issues.

One final question, do potential employers, specifically in the community/clinical pharmacy sector have stringent medical record checks? Or just the NHS in general if you're not 100% sure about it, thanks anyhows for clearing that up! :smile:

Occupational health for working in healthcare isn't really that thorough, I don't know about pharmacy specifically, but I work directly with patients and they were interested that I'd had the right vaccinations and there wasn't anything wrong with me that could be exacerbated by working in my job or that could affect patients. AFAIK they don't have direct access to your GP records.
Reply 4
Ah right, so unless my GP or the questionnaire specifically raises concerns they won't really follow up through with a thorough medical check is the point you're trying to convey? Lets just hope my GP sticks to his words, though considering I've been fine for 2 years should go into account!
Reply 5
Pharmacist here,

Most medical forms ask for

History of all vaccinations since birth

Have you ever been rejected blood donation etc

Current medical problems that may impair you

History of HIV /serious contractable disease etc

You won't get asked most of this until u work, uni won't ask.

Aman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest