Selena4595
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey everyone,

I've applied for product design engineering at loughborough and product design at brunel.

Since I went to my interview day at loughborough I have been worrying that th course is far too much engineering, and that there won't be many job opportunities for designers.

Because of this, I was wondering is anyone who is a current student at either university, what the placement opportunities are, and how much help you get when choosing a placement.

Thank you!
ElChapo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Selena4595)
Hey everyone,

I've applied for product design engineering at loughborough and product design at brunel.

Since I went to my interview day at loughborough I have been worrying that th course is far too much engineering, and that there won't be many job opportunities for designers.

Because of this, I was wondering is anyone who is a current student at either university, what the placement opportunities are, and how much help you get when choosing a placement.

Thank you!
These are two completely different degrees, if you want to be a product designer then you should study product design.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Selena4595
Rep:
?
So what would the loughborough course prepare me for?

(Original post by ElChapo)
These are two completely different degrees, if you want to be a product designer then you should study product design.

Posted from TSR Mobile
a10
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So what would the loughborough course prepare me for?
designed to build your background of mechanical engineering knowledge whilst nurturing your creative and innovative talents in order to design new products.
able to design new products that satisfy the original design functional and aesthetic specifications, but are also able to identify the most appropriate manufacturing route for the production quality, quantity and cost profile required.

As you can see doing Product Design Engineering will prepare you to be an engineer, you will be involved in the manufacture of these products and not so much actually designing the ergonomics. In other words if you want to deal with ergonomics a lot more and drawings of designs then stick to Product Design. Also I'm sure you know this but the engineering degree will contain quite a lot of maths and physics too.
Selena4595
Rep:
?
(Original post by a10)

As you can see doing Product Design Engineering will prepare you to be an engineer, you will be involved in the manufacture of these products and not so much actually designing the ergonomics. In other words if you want to deal with ergonomics a lot more and drawings of designs then stick to Product Design. Also I'm sure you know this but the engineering degree will contain quite a lot of maths and physics too.

where did you get those quotes from! I really wish I had seen that before I applied.

Do you know anything about the product design technology course at loughborough, or the product design course at brunel?
a10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
where did you get those quotes from! I really wish I had seen that before I applied.

Do you know anything about the product design technology course at loughborough, or the product design course at brunel?
loughborough uni and glasgow uni, PDE course details.

I don't know about those specific courses at those universities but I have some knowledge of what product designers do as this term in one of my modules there are some product design students.
Selena4595
Rep:
?
And you go to brunel? Can you tell me what the facilities are like, and how many people are in the workshop at once. Did you visit any other universities that you can prepare it to? Thank you
(Original post by a10)
loughborough uni and glasgow uni, PDE course details.

I don't know about those specific courses at those universities but I have some knowledge of what product designers do as this term in one of my modules there are some product design students.
a10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
And you go to brunel? Can you tell me what the facilities are like, and how many people are in the workshop at once. Did you visit any other universities that you can prepare it to? Thank you
No I don't go to Brunel, sorry! What were your other choices?
Selena4595
Rep:
?
(Original post by a10)
No I don't go to Brunel, sorry! What were your other choices?

Well ive ive applied for strathclyde, sussex, bournemouth, brunel and loughborough, but I am choosing between loughborough and brunel. I would also need to change my offer from product design engineering to product design technology at loughborough. :/
a10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well ive ive applied for strathclyde, sussex, bournemouth, brunel and loughborough, but I am choosing between loughborough and brunel. I would also need to change my offer from product design engineering to product design technology at loughborough. :/
not sure you would have to ask the admissions at loughborough whether you can, most likely you will be able to change.
ato30
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I go to loughborough university and did go for the PDE course here hoping the course would be the best of engineering as well as product design. I was wrong, it's basically engineering plus product design, there is not enough design/creativity in the course to keep an aspiring designer like me motivated. I've decided to leave the course recently however the product design and technology course here is good but I think I will be moving to brunel to do the PDE course there. It's so much more integrated I've found after talking to friends that went down that route (look at the course content difference in the courses). There seems to be much more inspiration on the design front rather than feeling that engineering takes the forefront and designing is being left behind. Honestly, call up Brunel and talk to tutors and the same for Loughborough and enquire about courses and project you do in first year, it a the best way to know and they're friendly about it! Best of luck with your journey.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (196)
59.94%
No (72)
22.02%
Not sure (59)
18.04%

Watched Threads