GCSE Q Pleaasee help meeee Watch

artymaniac
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
can someone explain to me the answer of these gcse questions in detail so I understand the meaning behind the answers.. much appreciated xxxxxxx
Attached files
lou987
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
2b (i) carbon monoxide
2b(ii) they are different because of incomplete combustion in reaction 2 or complete combustion in reaction 1. Complete Combustion is where the reaction has sufficient amount of oxygen. hope this helps.
DashStrike
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Basically this question is presenting you with two situation that happen when hexane is burnt in NORMAL air.

Situation 1 (reaction 1): Hexane undergoes COMPLETE combustion producing CO2 (carbon DIoxide) and water
Situation 2 (reaction 2): Hexane undergoes INCOMPLETE combustion producing CO (carbon MONoxide) and water

When hexane is burnt in NORMAL air, there isn't enough oxygen for the complete combustion of ALL hexane, therefore SOME hexane will undergo incomplete combustion, producing carbon monoxide. Basically, in normal air there isn't enough oxygen for complete combustion of all the molecule, so some incomplete combustion also takes place.
artymaniac
Rep:
?
(Original post by DashStrike)
Basically this question is presenting you with two situation that happen when hexane is burnt in NORMAL air.

Situation 1 (reaction 1): Hexane undergoes COMPLETE combustion producing CO2 (carbon DIoxide) and water
Situation 2 (reaction 2): Hexane undergoes INCOMPLETE combustion producing CO (carbon MONoxide) and water

When hexane is burnt in NORMAL air, there isn't enough oxygen for the complete combustion of ALL hexane, therefore SOME hexane will undergo incomplete combustion, producing carbon monoxide. Basically, in normal air there isn't enough oxygen for complete combustion of all the molecule, so some incomplete combustion also takes place.
Thanks for the explanation, makes it muuuuch easier to understand, appreciate ur help :-)
artymaniac
Rep:
?
(Original post by lou987)
2b (i) carbon monoxide
2b(ii) they are different because of incomplete combustion in reaction 2 or complete combustion in reaction 1. Complete Combustion is where the reaction has sufficient amount of oxygen. hope this helps.
thank ya
DashStrike
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by artymaniac)
Thanks for the explanation, makes it muuuuch easier to understand, appreciate ur help :-)
You're welcome I'm here if you need any more help
artymaniac
Rep:
?
You're welcome I'm here if you need any more help
Hi me again!, I was just revising polymerisation and was wondering if u could help.. me does polymerisation essentialy turn alkenes into alkanes??
thanxin advance
DashStrike
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi me again!, I was just revising polymerisation and was wondering if u could help.. me does polymerisation essentialy turn alkenes into alkanes??
thanxin advance

No. Alkenes break their double bond and join together in a big chain (biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig chain). The chain is not an alkAne chain, it is a polyalkEne chain. For example, polymerisation of ethEne produces polyethEne.

I hope this helped
artymaniac
Rep:
?
No. Alkenes break their double bond and join together in a big chain (biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig chain). The chain is not an alkAne chain, it is a polyalkEne chain. For example, polymerisation of ethEne produces polyethEne.

I hope this helped
Ahh I see, Im trying to draw this big chin for polyethene but im puzzled how to do it.. ive tried various sites but they r confusing me. In front of me I have an ethene chain.. but what do I do next?
Jargonium
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ahh I see, Im trying to draw this big chin for polyethene but im puzzled how to do it.. ive tried various sites but they r confusing me. In front of me I have an ethene chain.. but what do I do next?
This.
Jargonium
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jargonium)
This.
Note that "n" is your really big number.
artymaniac
Rep:
?
Note that "n" is your really big number.
oh! I get it now! thank u for helping
Jargonium
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
oh! I get it now! thank u for helping
No problem!

If you need any more assistance just ask
artymaniac
Rep:
?
No problem!

If you need any more assistance just ask
Thank you ur very kind! much appreciated :-)
DashStrike
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you ur very kind! much appreciated :-)
Make sure the brackets are round and the lines go from inside to the outside. -(-CH2CH2-)-
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (38)
10%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.16%
No, but I want to start (137)
36.05%
No, I am unable to (86)
22.63%
No, I chose not to (107)
28.16%