LouN1997
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm currently trying to think of a question for my epq. I quite like the idea of women in engineering and have an idea of a question; why is there a lack of women in engineering?
There is a whole range of reasons behind this that think I would be able to explore in an argumentative form to weigh up reasons and give the final answer.
Opinions and any comments? Could I change this or improve it? Haven't had much guidance from school and any help would be appreciated!
RWR2288
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are the reasons for the gender imbalance in engineering valid and how could the situation be improved??
amongsttheweeds
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LouN1997)
I'm currently trying to think of a question for my epq. I quite like the idea of women in engineering and have an idea of a question; why is there a lack of women in engineering?
There is a whole range of reasons behind this that think I would be able to explore in an argumentative form to weigh up reasons and give the final answer.
Opinions and any comments? Could I change this or improve it? Haven't had much guidance from school and any help would be appreciated!
I think there is a lot more scope with something like engineering and sustainability. Will there be enough oil to provide for future generations? Which alternatives should we go for - fracking, nuclear, wind, hydro, solar? You can then pit facts against opinion and see what the figures say vs the public.

Your subject matter as it stands seems very vague. If you insist on going down that route, perhaps compare it to another profession?

Edit: And agreed with the above, forgot to mention it. There's nothing inherently wrong with a lack of one gender in a profession, so first you would have to consider whether men and women are simply making different choices.
LouN1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by RWR2288)
Are the reasons for the gender imbalance in engineering valid and how could the situation be improved??
That's a really good question, thank you!
LouN1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by addylad)
I think there is a lot more scope with something like engineering and sustainability. Will there be enough oil to provide for future generations? Which alternatives should we go for - fracking, nuclear, wind, hydro, solar? You can then pit facts against opinion and see what the figures say vs the public.

Your subject matter as it stands seems very vague. If you insist on going down that route, perhaps compare it to another profession?

Edit: And agreed with the above, forgot to mention it. There's nothing inherently wrong with a lack of one gender in a profession, so first you would have to consider whether men and women are simply making different choices.
Thank you for your reply and help. I like the idea of comparing it to another profession like medicine; the numbers of women doctors has increased over time due to changing attitudes and other factors, whereas the number of women in engineering has shown little increase.
Although I agree that there is nothing "wrong" with a lack of women within this field, with an industry like engineering, where, in the UK, more engineers are needed, having more women can only be a good thing. Research and studies suggest that women are less inclined towards this field due to peer pressure, less confidence in mathematical ability and misconceptions that the industry is male dominated, less people orientated and very mechanical and similar factors therefore, perhaps it simply isn't just choice of preference but there are deep casual factors for this particular subject matter?
RWR2288
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LouN1997)
That's a really good question, thank you!
I was planning to do an EPQ, but stopped when I realized that I wouldn't have enough time, but the one thing that I did learn was to pose a question at the end where you can express your own views and ideas.

Talk to the Engineering Development Trust and Smallpiece Trust which both run excellent courses for women hoping to go into engineering.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.88%
Uncertainty around my education (446)
14.79%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.21%
Lack of purpose or motivation (420)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.64%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (182)
6.04%
Loneliness (259)
8.59%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (137)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (164)
5.44%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.82%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.42%

Watched Threads