lala121
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Okay I'm doing A2 German and I'm so pathetic that I still dont know this.... BTW I got a B at AS LOL (Who am I kidding?)

Anyways....

I am getting confused with das und dass e.g.

I wrote:

Seit 2011 gibt es kostenlose Kindergärtenplätze für Familien, weil die Politiker in Berlin denken, dass frühes Lernen wichtig ist.

Teacher corrected as:

Seit 2011 gibt es kostenlose Kindergärtenplätze für Familien, weil die Politiker in Berlin denken das frühes Lernen wichtig ist.

Danke Shoen
thatitootoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My mind is going crazy over this!
We all know that it's "Ich glaube, dass" "Wir denken, dass" but somehow this is puzzling me! lol

maybe ", dass ... etwas Wichtiges ist"
:dontknow:
Larifuga
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey lala,

I am German. Actually your teacher is wrong! Your sentence is correct. In addition, the way your teacher "corrected" it makes the sentence senseless.

Your sentence translated (1:1):

Since 2011 there are free Kindergarden places for families, because politicians in Berlin think, that early learning is important.

Your teachers sentence translated (1:1):

Since 2011 there are free Kindergarden places for families, because politicians in Berlin think which early learning is important.

Explanation in general: The "das" in a clause can always be replaced by a "dieses" or "welches" (which) because it's an article related to a noun. The "dass" on the opposite is a conjunction, linking clauses.

Hope that helps :-)
thatitootoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Larifuga)
Hey lala,

I am German. Actually your teacher is wrong! Your sentence is correct. In addition, the way your teacher "corrected" it makes the sentence senseless.

Since 2011 there are free Kindergarden places for families, because politicians in Berlin think, that early learning is important.

Since 2011 there are free Kindergarden places for families, because politicians in Berlin think which early learning is important.

Explanation in general: The "das" in a clause can always be replaced by a "dieses" or "welches" (which) because it's an article related to a noun. The "dass" on the opposite is a conjunction, linking clauses.

Thanks so much for this! This made me see sense again! lol
Larifuga
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
:-D You're welcome!!
lala121
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Larifuga)
Hey lala,

Hi,

Thanks for explaining it! I think my teacher got confused, because she she told me how das can be replaced by 'dieses'

Okay so would this be it?

Dieses Buch gehört mir --> Das Buch gehört mir

And just wondering as you said it 'can' be replaced, what if I don't? It is grammatically incorrect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
grizzlybär
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Frühes Lernen ist wichtig.
Das frühe Lernen ist wichtig.
..., dass frühes Lernen wichtig ist.
..., dass das frühe Lernen wichtig ist.

'frühes' is another indication that it is actually 'dass' and not 'das' in your sentence.

'das frühes Lernen' is wrong it has to be 'das frühe Lernen'

adjective endings with and without article:

schnelles Auto - das schnelle Auto
schneller Wagen - der schnelle Wagen
schöne Frau - die schöne Frau
Larifuga
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

ja genau. The book examples you wrote are both grammatically correct. Articles can be replaced by dieses (der>dieser, die>diese, das>dieses) but you don't have to. I suppose, like in English if you say dieses/this your indicating, that you want to emphasize the specific one, but even if that's the case you don't have to (at least in German:-)

Dieses Buch gehört mir.
Das Buch gehört mir.

This book is mine.
The book.

But referring to the dass/das problem, the more important word is welches I guess. (der>welcher, die>welche or das>welches)

So think the things you need to consider if you're not sure about an dass or das in a sentence are:

1. das
The das has to be an article or a pronoun, so in every case related to a noun somewhere in the sentence.
Articles are of course normally quite obvious. If you find a pronoun, try to translate the sentence as close as possible and fill in
which for the das. If that works, you can be sure it is a pronoun.

Das Buch, das du mir empfohlen hast, ist sehr interessant.

Das Buch, welches du mir empfohlen hast, ist sehr interessant.

The book, that you recommended, is very interesting.

The book, which you recommended, is very interesting.

2. dass
The dass is a conjunction. So if you are sure your das(s) is nether an article nor a pronoun. Also it is never related to a single noun.
It is always referring to something like a situation or circumstance.

Dass Kolumbus Amerika entdeckt hat dass weiß heute jedes Kind.

That Kolumbus has discovered America that is something every kid knows these days.

Does that make sense to you? Macht dass Sinn für dich?
asdef-
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This explanation is overly complicated in my eyes. In short, if you can put in dieses/jenes/welches (sometimes only one of them will fit, depending on the sentence) and the meaning remains the same, you use das. If dieses/jenes/welches will sound odd (and it will if it does not belong there), you use dass. I'm German and this pronoun and conjunction stuff is gibberish to me. This dieses/jenes/welches thing has never led me wrong and it's easy to remember and use.

The examples given above also use das/dass in a wrong fashion.

1. Dass (dieses/jenes/welches? = NO) Columbus Amerika entdeckt hat, das (dies = YES) weiß heute jedes Kind!

2. Macht das (dies = YES) Sinn für dich?
Larifuga
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by asdef-)
This explanation is overly complicated in my eyes. In short, if you can put in dieses/jenes/welches (sometimes only one of them will fit, depending on the sentence) and the meaning remains the same, you use das. If dieses/jenes/welches will sound odd (and it will if it does not belong there), you use dass. I'm German and this pronoun and conjunction stuff is gibberish to me. This dieses/jenes/welches thing has never led me wrong and it's easy to remember and use.

The examples given above also use das/dass in a wrong fashion.

1. Dass (dieses/jenes/welches? = NO) Columbus Amerika entdeckt hat, das (dies = YES) weiß heute jedes Kind!

2. Macht das (dies = YES) Sinn für dich?

Uuups. You're right. Sorry guys. I guess I got a bit confused my self by trying to see the problem from a english point of view...
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Please note:

If the article 'das' can be replaced by 'dies/es' 'jenes' or 'welches', then the article 'das' is written with one 's'. Here are some examples:

Das Spiel, das verloren geht, war ein herber Rückschlag für die Mannschaft (das = welches).
Das war die richtige Antwort auf die gestellte Frage (das = dies)
Das Haus, das (= welches, that's why one 's') von einem Erdbeben zerstört wurde, wurde vor drei Monaten erneuert (das = Jenes)

Otherwise the article 'das' is written with two 's', so 'dass'. Hope that I was capable of helping you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads