The Student Room Group

Career Crisis

My dream in life is to be an actress on stage. That's what I've always wanted to do and I am prepared to work hard to get this. But it's not a stable career, I don't know whether to do something else I enjoy less but will be a better source of income. But then if I do that I'll never get a chance at fulfilling my dream, but equally if I do train to be an actress it might not work out and I'll be left with nothing. My plan is (ish) to do a degree at Uni first, probably English all being well, and then try to go for drama school after that. I don't know whether it's worth it. I know that if I managed then it would be a dream come true. Does anyone have any suggestions of what career path I should take - a more stable career or a more personally fulfilling one? This choice consumes me every day. I am currently a GCSE student. Thank you.
I would definitely suggest having a back up plan and I'd say English is a good idea because it gives you quite a lot of options but I don't think you necessarily have to wait until after your education to get started. With a lot of creative industries it's about knowing the right people so I'd say start getting work experience now. Not necessarily on stage either - just being in that environment will give you a proper idea of what goes on and how things work and knowledge like that might help set you apart from the competition.

I'd definitely recommend getting involved in as many school productions as possible and maybe you should look into acting/theatre groups or summer programmes outside of school too. The important thing is that you have to show them that you're serious and you know what it takes but I'm sure if you put your mind to it, you can do it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest