The Student Room Group

I really dislike my sister, don't care about her in the slightest.

The other day I told my friend I love her (I know, I know. OMG! Friend zoned! but I genuinely do just like being friends, I don't fancy her) but nothing serious, I throw that word around a lot anyway.

Anyway, after we mentioned family and I said obviously my family come before her (I said my parents, grandparents would come before anyone) but I care about my friend more than I care about my sister, and I wouldn't miss her if something happened to her. She said that was a bit wrong. I mean when I'm a little older in a steady job (so I can get a mortgage) I'll move out and never contact her again, it won't bother me.

Is it normal to feel like this? I know we're supposed to love our family, but I mean my parents brought me up, what do our siblings do for us? Why should we put them above any other bum on the street?

It's not like she's done anything particulary bad like steal from me, it's just the way she is. I don't like her and my life would be better off without her in it.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
The other day I told my friend I love her (I know, I know. OMG! Friend zoned! but I genuinely do just like being friends, I don't fancy her) but nothing serious, I throw that word around a lot anyway.

Anyway, after we mentioned family and I said obviously my family come before her (I said my parents, grandparents would come before anyone) but I care about my friend more than I care about my sister, and I wouldn't miss her if something happened to her. She said that was a bit wrong. I mean when I'm a little older in a steady job (so I can get a mortgage) I'll move out and never contact her again, it won't bother me.

Is it normal to feel like this? I know we're supposed to love our family, but I mean my parents brought me up, what do our siblings do for us? Why should we put them above any other bum on the street?

It's not like she's done anything particulary bad like steal from me, it's just the way she is. I don't like her and my life would be better off without her in it.

That's perfectly normal. My parents don't live together and I live with my mum but see my dad regularly. I have no additional family on my mothers side but loads on my dads side and all of which, I couldn't care less about. I have some cousins (don't exactly know how many as I've only met two but know there's more), aunt's and uncles and I don't care for any of them. I used to see the two cousins regularly when I was under the age of 10 but even then I knew I didn't like them. I suppose a bond between brother/sister is meant to be a bit stronger than cousins but it's the same principle. They are my family and I don't like them in the slightest. Haven't seen them for over 8 years now and don't plan to.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
It happens. That is how I would describe my dad's relationship with most of his family. He hasn't seen his mum in years and he isn't at all close to his sister. When his dad dies, he thinks he'll lost contact with his sister entirely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending