mahdinur
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
blood is fluid and non-compressible just like water.
How does this property of comprehensibility satisfy the functioning blood?
I mean why is blood In-compressible? liquid
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mahdinur)
We aren't going to do your homework for you.

Think about the heart as a pump. If it pumped a compressible medium, what would happen? Would blood travel around the body as efficiently?
mahdinur
Rep:
?
Basically it isn't a homework.
I was wondering out of curiosity.
Anyway Thank you for responding.
Just found out is to deal with density and viscosity.
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Might want to google the difference between comprehensibility and compressibility.
345rty
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by seaholme)
Might want to google the difference between comprehensibility and compressibility.
Blood is about as compressible as the original post was comprehensible.

Clue for the OP might be to do with pumping the stuff...
mahdinur
Rep:
?
Well. You got good points.
In my findings, I realised that, if blood is compressed particles will come together giving it more mass per unit volume hence becoming more dense.
This results to make blood thick which can cause clogging when penetrating in tiny capillaries.
If blood clots in vessels can cauae atherosclerosis or even heart attack.
That's why blood is incompressible.
This were my findings.
People may cone with diverse of opinion but all are respected.
shiggydiggy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
People may cone
I think I blew a pupil just reading this thread.
mahdinur
Rep:
?
(Original post by shiggydiggy)
I think I blew a pupil just reading this thread.

Sorry, I wanted to say, "people may come"
Anyway thank you.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In my findings, I realised that, if blood is compressed particles will come together giving it more mass per unit volume hence becoming more dense.
This results to make blood thick which can cause clogging when penetrating in tiny capillaries.
This were my findings.
What liquids are compressible then?
Freyr
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This were my findings.
I think you need to research what atherosclerosis is... You're part right about the clots, but I don't think you meant atherosclerosis, since it doesn't really have anything to do with thicker blood
mahdinur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Freyr)
I think you need to research what atherosclerosis is... You're part right about the clots, but I don't think you meant atherosclerosis, since it doesn't really have anything to do with thicker blood

First thank you for contributing.
I appreciate that you agreed clotting to relate with thick blood.
Blood clotting can cause various diseases depending on where blood clotted. This means if corronary artery is blocked, then it is likely to cause atherosclerosis, if vessle in the brain is the one blocked, then it is likely to cause stroke, if renal artry is the one blocked, then it is likely to cause kidney diseases.
This is my oppinion and views hence anyone can opose or propose
Gibber96
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Blood clotting can cause various diseases depending on where blood clotted. This means if corronary artery is blocked, then it is likely to cause atherosclerosis, if vessle in the brain is the one blocked, then it is likely to cause stroke, if renal artry is the one blocked, then it is likely to cause kidney diseases.
More like atherosclerosis is likely to lead to a blocked coronary artery once the atheroma breaks off.
hslakaal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Think you should lookup what athereosclerosis is, my friend. It isn't about the organ involved but rather what it is.

To your original question, everything can be compressed, just that some have a lower compressability than others. Most fluids cannot be easily compressed, and blood shares this property, being mostly fluid.
mahdinur
Rep:
?
(Original post by hslakaal)
Think you should lookup what athereosclerosis is, my friend. It isn't about the organ involved but rather what it is.

To your original question, everything can be compressed, just that some have a lower compressability than others. Most fluids cannot be easily compressed, and blood shares this property, being mostly fluid.
Thanks, I see your point.
I agree that atherosclerosis is not to related with compressibility, it was my wrong perception. however it is related to clogging.
As a fact, athesclerosis is a condition when fatty substance clogge (atheroma). although it is clogging/blocking but it is not due to compressibility.
Thank you. your opinions clarified the distinction of terms.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
Think about the heart as a pump. If it pumped a compressible medium, what would happen? Would blood travel around the body as efficiently?
Actually, a degree of compressibility would be desirable. It would reduce the need for high pulse pressures and reduce consequent trauma to the blood vessels.

We get around it by having compliant arteries - something which incidentally decreases with age and atherosclerotic disease and can be used as a predictor of vascular disease.

EDIT: plus air is very compressible, but the lungs still move it efficiently enough.
Scorlibran
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Wrong, fluids are both liquids and gases. Gases are quite easily compressed, liquids however are not. Although they do compress slightly, but this is dependent on the bulk modulus of the liquid.
Scorlibran
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Actually, a degree of compressibility would be desirable. It would reduce the need for high pulse pressures and reduce consequent trauma to the blood vessels.

We get around it by having compliant arteries - something which incidentally decreases with age and atherosclerotic disease and can be used as a predictor of vascular disease.

EDIT: plus air is very compressible, but the lungs still move it efficiently enough.
The reason the lungs expel air easily is because they are open to the atmosphere, so when the diaphragm and intercostal muscles contract they create a higher pressure inside the lungs than outside; this provides the driving force for the air to flow out.

I think the reason blood has to be incompressible is because if it were compressible a lot of work done by the heart would just push the molecules closer together, whereas in an incompressible fluid the molecules cannot get any closer together so they are forced away from the heart.

These are only my speculations, I may be wrong.
hslakaal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Scorlibran)
Wrong, fluids are both liquids and gases. Gases are quite easily compressed, liquids however are not. Although they do compress slightly, but this is dependent on the bulk modulus of the liquid.
Apologies. I meant liquids. Good spot!
Scorlibran
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Apologies. I meant liquids. Good spot!
Haha no worries
mahdinur
Rep:
?
(Original post by seaholme)
(Original post by nexttime)

Spellings error. thanks
I came with the idiology of matter. it is clear that when a gas is compressed it turns to liquid since the particles come close togther. assume liquid is compressible, what would happen if a liquid is compressed? obviously it shoudl turn into a solid. this is why liquid is incompressible. now as far as blood is concernd, blood which is composed of 95% water would change and become a solid which will restrict the flow of blood through various branches of tiny vesscles.
I appreciate everyone collaboration.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
29.15%
No - I have already returned home (24)
12.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (45)
22.61%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (19)
9.55%
No - I live at home during term anyway (53)
26.63%

Watched Threads