The Student Room Group

50 gender options on facebook

The 50 genders chosen by Facebook are:

Agender (describes people who lack a gender)

Androgyne (is a non-binary gender identity. Androgynes may possess traits that are simultaneously feminine and masculine, or neither)

Androgynous

Bigender (a person who feels that their gender is fully male and fully female, or any pair of genders, generally by switching between the two)

Cis (cisgender and cissexual are a closely related class of gender identities where an individual's gender identity matches the behavior or role considered appropriate for one's sex)

Cis Female

Cis Male

Cis Man

Cis Woman

Cisgender

Cisgender Female

Cisgender Male

Cisgender Man

Cisgender Woman

Female to Male

FTM (FTM is an abbreviation for 'female-to-male' transsexual)

Gender Fluid (those moving between genders)

Gender Nonconforming (or gender variant is behaviour or gender expression that does not conform to dominant gender norms of male and female)

Gender Questioning

Gender Variant

Genderqueer (a catch-all term for gender identities other than man and woman)

Intersex (a person born with sexual anatomy, reproductive organs, and/or chromosome patterns that do not fit the typical definition of male or female)

Male to Female

MTF ('male-to-female')

Neither

Neutrois (taken to mean 'non-gendered class.' It refers to a gender identity which is also called null-gendered on occasion)

Non-binary (gender identities that don't fit within the accepted binary of male and female. People can feel they are both, neither, or some mixture thereof)

Other

Pangender (similar to Androgyne)

Trans (transgender people are people who are born into a body not associated with their gender, or were assigned a sex that does not match their gender)

Trans Female

Trans Male

Trans Man

Trans Person

Trans*Female (the asterisk creates an umbrella term that specially encompasses every single gender identity)

Trans*Male

Trans*Man

Trans*Person

Trans*Woman

Transexual (a subset of transgender, and refers generally to people who identify as a sex other than that they were assigned at birth)

Transexual Female

Transexual Male

Transexual Man

Transexual Person

Transexual Woman

Transgender Female

Transgender Person

Transmasculine (describes those who were assigned female at birth, but identify as more male than female)

Two-spirit (describes Indigenous North Americans who fulfill one of many mixed gender roles found traditionally among many Native Americans and Canadian First Nations indigenous groups)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What even is gender anymore? People have taken it's original meaning and butchered it.
Kudos to Facebook then, nice to see they're being more inclusive. Also worth noting they've added an option for preferred pronouns.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
It's ridiculous really, if you're born with a penis you're a male if you're born with a vagina you're a female

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
It's ridiculous really, if you're born with a penis you're a male if you're born with a vagina you're a female

Posted from TSR Mobile

How about people who were born with both?
Reply 5
Original post by Wade-

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's sex not gender

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish they'd just call it sex and include the option 'god'.
Original post by Wade-

That's sex, not gender. And also way oversimplified.
Reply 8
50 options and yet there's still the option of "other"
Original post by clh_hilary
How about people who were born with both?

cut one off and socially construct the individual from there. it has worked so well in the past.
Original post by xDave-
50 options and yet there's still the option of "other"

:erm:

Original post by thecrediblehulk
Non-binary (gender identities that don't fit within the accepted binary of male and female. People can feel they are both, neither, or some mixture thereof)

Other

Pangender (similar to Androgyne)

EDIT: Never mind, misead :facepalm:

Still, there's a need for 'other'. It's inevitable that someone will fall outside of those options.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by shadowdweller
:erm:

wot
Original post by thecrediblehulk
cut one off and socially construct the individual from there. it has worked so well in the past.

But that poster said the point is what you were born with.
Reply 13
Gender is a stupid social construct.
Reply 14
How about we have no options at all? It makes more sense simply to not label it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xDave-
wot

Misread your post, sorry :colondollar:

Thought you meant there wasn't other.

But tbf, there's always going to be something missed out when you give options for anything. So it makes sense to still have other.
I have no idea which one of those I am.
I can understand the need for inclusiveness but the difference between a lot of these seems very superficial. I can't get my head around, for example, the difference between Transsexual Male and Transsexual Man.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I have no idea which one of those I am.

me neither. i had no idea life was so complicated.
I'm not an expert, but it seems to me there are some redundant ones?

But anyway, this can only be a good thing. If it bothers you, just select 'cis male' or 'cis female' and ignore everything else...

Quick Reply

Latest