Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've got my coursework mark for Tort and it is rubbish. Its worth 25% of the final grade and I got 45 - yes I know its rubbish - it was an oral coursework and I let my nerves take over.
To find out my exact coursework grade I need to find out what 45% of 25% is.

I've also had an online test which is worth 5% and i got a score of 70.

I'm revising so hard for this Tort exam - I've read a lot of journal articles for further academic opinion but the coursework mark has completely made me doubt whether I'll even pass.
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
45% of 25% = 100(0.45*0.25) which is roughly 11%. You got the equivalent of 3.5% for the online test so you're on about 14.5%. So you have 70% of marks left available. Maximum of 84.5%, minimum of 14.5%, and to achieve a 'pass' of 30%, you need a little over 20% on the rest. If a pass is 40%, it's about 35% you need off the top of my head. Easily achievable.

If it helps, keep posting here with anything you struggle with - and I'll offer some advice to focus on pure economic loss in negligence (i.e. the Hedley Byrne v Heller branch of cases) - it's complex but if you know it well you can easily impress examiners. While you're doing that you may as well get tip-top on the rest of negligence, though you could probably skip out psychiatric injury etc.
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
45% of 25% = 100(0.45*0.25) which is roughly 11%. You got the equivalent of 3.5% for the online test so you're on about 14.5%. So you have 70% of marks left available. Maximum of 84.5%, minimum of 14.5%, and to achieve a 'pass' of 30%, you need a little over 20% on the rest. If a pass is 40%, it's about 35% you need off the top of my head. Easily achievable.

If it helps, keep posting here with anything you struggle with - and I'll offer some advice to focus on pure economic loss in negligence (i.e. the Hedley Byrne v Heller branch of cases) - it's complex but if you know it well you can easily impress examiners. While you're doing that you may as well get tip-top on the rest of negligence, though you could probably skip out psychiatric injury etc.
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am working so hard…the coursework i had was an oral in which we had to argue why an injunction should be granted…it was just awful…i have never got such a low mark and it really shock me lol.

Law is tooo stressful.

I am planning to revising pure economic loss. If you don't mind can you give me a brief structure of pure economic loss if i had to answer an essay question on? I had a lecture on it but now a workshop/seminar…my uni focused more on psychiatric harm. I was looking at the past exam papers and there are essay questions on pure economic loss.

Once again thanks!
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends what the question is, clearly. And to be honest, I don't remember economic loss that well, it's been a while since I studied any tort, I just remembered it was both conceptually debatable (which makes for good answers to essay questions) while having some clear rules (which helps in problem questions).
Rep:
?
Depends what the question is, clearly. And to be honest, I don't remember economic loss that well, it's been a while since I studied any tort, I just remembered it was both conceptually debatable (which makes for good answers to essay questions) while having some clear rules (which helps in problem questions).
No worries.

I need some general advise about revising for tort. At my uni we have 9 topics, 6 questions in the exam in which we have to answer 2. I really dislike essay questions….i think it's sometimes the way they word it which kinda confuses me….i prefer scenario questions. Honestly, do you think it will be stupid if I revise all 9 topics but only as scenario based?
Usually, there are 3 scenario questions and 3 essay questions in the exam.
Rep:
?

Would you be able to tell me what percentage roughly i would need to get a 2:1 overall for tort? When I calculated it myself I need about 70% in the exam…i think i calculated it completely wrong tbh…I followed this post that was put up on how to work out ho many marks you need etc…in yahoo answers.
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(0.25 * 0.45) + (0.05 * 0.7) = 0.1475

Need 0.6 - 0.1475 = 0.4525 more to get a 2:1, out of 70% available.

0.4525 / 0.7 = 64.6%. So 65% or more in the exam will get you a 2:1.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Forum User)
(0.25 * 0.45) + (0.05 * 0.7) = 0.1475

Need 0.6 - 0.1475 = 0.4525 more to get a 2:1, out of 70% available.

0.4525 / 0.7 = 64.6%. So 65% or more in the exam will get you a 2:1.

Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads