The Student Room Group

Improving my credentials for medicine

I am currently studying my AS levels - Chemistry, Biology, Spanish, Maths and hope to achieve AAAA. I got 3A* 8A 1B at GCSE. I am fairly active outside school - I play netball, rugby, dance and swim - and am currently completing my Silver Duke of Edinburgh Award. I volunteer at the Pilgrims hospice and am currently trying to get work experience in a hospital - although it's very hard in my local area. I also hold down a job as a lifeguard so I don't have unlimited time to spend. Seeing as my academic achievements aren't partically great, I was wondering if anyone knew what others sorts of things I could do to improve my personal statement to apply to study Medicine? - Also any revision tips and website suggestions where I could read around the subject of medicine (current advances, nhs etc) would be very helpful, thanks!
Reply 1
More work experience! Don't just try hospitals, see if you can get your local GP to give you a few days or a week. I sent mine a letter and they very kindly obliged, so I got a week of GP practice whilst all my school friends doing the same were being relegated to hospital volunteers fetching people chocolates and newspapers. Also, utilise all and any family/friend contacts because that can help net you work experience. Bad but true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending