Officeliner
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I'm a pupil from Germany and have some difficulties with English grammar. If you have some time it would be very nice if you could look through my text and correct my mistakes. This would help me a lot because those grammar exercises are most of the time too simple for me and therefore wouldn't help very much.

Summary of "Why Fanaticism"

In his text “Why Fanaticism” outlines Hanif Kureishi his thoughts on the origins of fundamentalism and why his literature deals with the topic, as e.g. in “My Son the Fanatic” and “The Black Album”.

His idea of writing about fundamentalism started when the fatwa on Salman Rushdie because of his novel “The Satanic Verses” was announced. He noticed that this incident made people think afresh about literature and it’s meaning in today’s society. However, Hanif Kureishi also had to think about the new groups of young Asian Muslims in Great Britain who fanatically obey to the rules of the Quran. He notices the upcoming fundamentalism and wondered why this was happening.

In his opinion, which is based on a research and several interviews with young Muslims who rediscovered the Islam, the reason for the new fundamentalism is the Western society and the role immigrants play in it.
First of all those young immigrants of the second or third generation claim that the Western society has too much freedom, that it is over-sexualized and sterile (p. 329, l. 3-4). Those young people refuse this lifestyle in order to have strict rules of an authoritarian religion. It is very remarkable that these young people who create themselves a retributive God to which they submit (p. 330, l. 3) aren’t stupid at all. On the contrary they are very intelligent and have often a diploma.

The second point refers to this because even though they got higher education it is very difficult if not impossible for them to get a good job. Even if they are adapted and live the Western lifestyle they never reach the status of an English person. The reason for this is that the Western people believe in the tendentious picture of Asians that is created by the media (p. 330, l. 22-33). The immigrants are, even after generations in their new countries, isolated from the society. Due to the colonialism and today’s racism they are forced to feel inferior and the hope of being integrated one day changes into anger and disillusionment (p. 332, l. 20-24) so that they feel like victims in their own country (p. 332, l. 30-31).

If you feel excluded and the Western freedom makes you feel unsafe because the people aren’t certain of anything, it is tempting to create your own society and to exclude others. In this way the fundamentalism provides security because everything has been decided (p. 333, l. 16-17) as well as solidarity.

Hanif Kureishi comes to the conclusion that people need faith when they live a dreadful life and that this isn’t given in the Western society. He is able to understand why people turn to fundamentalism and had to think about it a lot. To share his thoughts he wrote books about it. Finally he refers to the fatwa and writing and the meaning of both in his book “The Black Album”. In his opinion writing is a human affirmation and self-examination and without it our humanity is diminished (p. 224, l. 15-19).

Thanks a lot in advance!!
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (102)
61.08%
No (34)
20.36%
Not sure (31)
18.56%

Watched Threads