Animation, Digital Animation, 3D animation degrees are all the same right??!??

Watch
abba12345
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I have posted twice as I feel GD would be the best place Sorry Mods.
-------------------------------------------------------

I've been looking around at few uni's, I'm really interested in 3D Animation, Now looking at course's offerered in Animation are usually like this on each uni:
BA Digital Animation - Hert Uni , Ba Animation - Wolves Uni , BA 3D animation -Teeside.

Are they all the same but with a slight different names for each uni?

When I look at the course contents they all look pretty same-ish, 3D animation taught alongside Traditional Animation.

Would be great if they all stuck with the same name because it gets confusing at times..

Any ideas?

Cheers

Abba12345 - Dancing Queen
rabbit
Report 15 years ago
Well I imagine that Digital Animation is mainly computer generated?
3D animation probably is a mix of computer and traditional, but instead of relying on drawing it relies on making models?
Animation is probably mostly traditional animation, and focused a lot of drawing?

Best to compare the prospectuses, email course leaders etc.
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yo!!

Right, check the prospectuss', but I can tell you this:

Bournemouth's Computer Visualisation and Animation.
Herts's Digital Animation
Teess' Computer Vis and Animation

Are ALL largely 3D based. I've done a lot of research on this, and basically these are the best three. Bournemouth is generally agreed to be the best in the country - It houses the national centre for Animation and generally is pretty damn spiffy. However, it's very technical, with a lot of emphasis on shader programming and technical skeletons etc - that's why you need maths A-Level or you don't stand a chance. It's the only course where you need decent grades, not just a decent portfolio to get in.

Then there's Herts and Teess. I might sound a little bias, but I got an offer for both, so it's not like i'm bitter or anything (something I didn't get from Bournemouth, but then I didn't do maths A-Level). They are both my art based - not that I did art A-Level either and, from what i've heard from employers, equally well respected. I went to Herts at both the open day and for an interview, and it seemed so ... enthusiastic. The lecturors, the students, everyone seemed like they really loved what they were doing. I never visited Teess because basically it's the opposite end of the country to me, and it seemed like the work that the graduates were producing was better at Herts than Teess. I have since got to know a bunch of the guys at Herts doing DA and they are all great people.

Basically, go for Bournemouth if you think you've got what it takes, but Teess and Herts are both very good "seconds". I also got an offer for Portsmouth, but the work didn't look that great and when I went to the open day, the lecturors and students just looked so bored and uninterested.

Any more questions feel free to ask - I've done a ton of research so hopefully can help, and any questions you have about the Herts course, I have a ton of people I can ask on your behalf for.
darryl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The module content is the most important thing, not the course title.

Get a module list and module content information from the applicable university that is the best way of gauging the focus of the courses.
Deadfish41
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DanGrover)
Yo!!

Right, check the prospectuss', but I can tell you this:

Bournemouth's Computer Visualisation and Animation.
Herts's Digital Animation
Teess' Computer Vis and Animation

Are ALL largely 3D based. I've done a lot of research on this, and basically these are the best three. Bournemouth is generally agreed to be the best in the country - It houses the national centre for Animation and generally is pretty damn spiffy. However, it's very technical, with a lot of emphasis on shader programming and technical skeletons etc - that's why you need maths A-Level or you don't stand a chance. It's the only course where you need decent grades, not just a decent portfolio to get in.

Then there's Herts and Teess. I might sound a little bias, but I got an offer for both, so it's not like i'm bitter or anything (something I didn't get from Bournemouth, but then I didn't do maths A-Level). They are both my art based - not that I did art A-Level either and, from what i've heard from employers, equally well respected. I went to Herts at both the open day and for an interview, and it seemed so ... enthusiastic. The lecturors, the students, everyone seemed like they really loved what they were doing. I never visited Teess because basically it's the opposite end of the country to me, and it seemed like the work that the graduates were producing was better at Herts than Teess. I have since got to know a bunch of the guys at Herts doing DA and they are all great people.

Basically, go for Bournemouth if you think you've got what it takes, but Teess and Herts are both very good "seconds". I also got an offer for Portsmouth, but the work didn't look that great and when I went to the open day, the lecturors and students just looked so bored and uninterested.

Any more questions feel free to ask - I've done a ton of research so hopefully can help, and any questions you have about the Herts course, I have a ton of people I can ask on your behalf for.

Exactly what i feel about those universities as well... i applied to all of those.. bournemouth, herts, teeside, and portsmouth. Ive got an interview for bournemouth in a couple weeks... quite nervous about it.. but ive already got offers from tees, ports, and herts ..
Bennyboy65
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What are these courses like? are they reputable?

http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/ug-prospe...-animation.cfm
http://www.wmin.ac.uk/mad/page-407

Thanks,
Ben
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't know of a single person employed in industry, or seen their work at awards etc, who have either of those degrees - that's all I know. Take from that what you will.
jeanskip
Report 14 years ago
There is a good school in the US for that specific field...
it's called digipen, its affiliated to nintendo of america.
I think u should check it out
www.digipen.edu
suryamutant
Report 11 years ago
hi guys how about full sail unvi.. no word abt it! its course structure is good!
Joshua_Bufton
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just thought I would say on this that I today have received an offer for an interview from bournemouth and I have an E in maths AS-level. For the past 2 years I have been doing a Level 3 BTEC in IT so I doubt that the reason that you didn't get an offer is because you didn't have a maths A-Level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.25%
Uncertainty around my education (36)
10.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (38)
11.31%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.99%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.06%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.17%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (35)
10.42%
Financial worries (24)
7.14%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.46%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.25%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (9)
2.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.12%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.44%

Watched Threads