The Student Room Group

Am I clever enough to do Pharmacy?

Hi everyone,

I am currently doing BTEC Applied science, and I have got distinctions in every unit so far. I really want to do pharmacy and I currently am employed in a pharmacy!
I did do AS last year, and I dropped out of chemistry as I was feeling very depressed and had no support from the teacher who I didn't get a long with.
I'm worried in case I am now not clever enough to do chemistry based on the fact that I dropped out of the subject :frown:!!

Please could anyone give me some advice!

Thank you!!

Emily
Seeing as the study of it is actually called pharmacology, probably not.
Check which Unis need A level chemistry... To know if you can actually apply. Because I know quite a few Unis that need A level chemistry alongside BTEC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really wouldn't look at it in terms of 'I don't have A-level chemistry, therefore, I'm not clever enough to do Pharmacy'

I'll let you into a little secret; at A-level, I was predicted a D in chemistry (as opposed to the B most courses require), and I've gotten through the course just fine. From the sounds of those distinctions, you're very hardworking (which, trust me, is far more important that being 'clever' in a course like Pharmacy).

Unfortunately, I think most courses require chemistry A-level. You would either have to retake the subject OR you could always do Pharmacy with a foundation year (which, as far as I'm aware, only needs decent GCSEs in relevant subject and is less bothered by which A-levels you have).
(edited 10 years ago)
Fallen petal is right! I've talked to students that already on the pharmacy course and they say that in 1st year, everyone is taught most 'basic' chemistry principles needed for pharmacy, so that everyone is up to scratch.

Edit:

I'm doing a foundation year because I really struggled with doing BTEC and A level chemistry at the same time and I have 2 offers already (I applied elsewhere as well) :smile: so that's worth a try!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Seathestars
Seeing as the study of it is actually called pharmacology, probably not.

Pharmacology is an entirely different subject.
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Pharmacology is an entirely different subject.

"Studying Pharmacy" doesn't sound right though...
Original post by Seathestars
"Studying Pharmacy" doesn't sound right though...

It's kind of what I do though. :lol: Pharmacy focusses on the clinical application of pharmacology and developing different dosage forms and things, pharmacology looks at how drugs and other chemicals work in the body at receptors and suchlike. So many receptors. :angry: Pharmacology is a lot more specific than pharmacy. And you can't be a pharmacist with a pharmacology degree
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by emilylaurajenkin
Hi everyone,

I am currently doing BTEC Applied science, and I have got distinctions in every unit so far. I really want to do pharmacy and I currently am employed in a pharmacy!
I did do AS last year, and I dropped out of chemistry as I was feeling very depressed and had no support from the teacher who I didn't get a long with.
I'm worried in case I am now not clever enough to do chemistry based on the fact that I dropped out of the subject :frown:!!

Please could anyone give me some advice!

Thank you!!

Emily

I see why not tbh
I failed my first year AS, got DEDE and an E in Chem
Retook the year at a different college

Did 3 A-levels and A BTEC in IT and got AAC and distinctinton in BTEC (Certificate)
Got 5 offers, 3 of which asked for AA and Distinction in the BTEC (Sub dip)

Just retake the year and work really hard and anything is possible tbf :smile:
I'm currently doing the BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science too (I'm in my 2nd year) and at the end of this year I'm hoping to get a Distinction* Distinction* Distinction. I have applied for Pharmacy at university this year and its not impossible to get into pharmacy with a BTEC. I was in the same position as you when I started A-levels I failed my AS's and Decided to do the BTEC. I know there are some universities that accept BTEC's without A-Level Chemistry (Bradford, Brighton and Kingston are all examples of uni's that do take BTEC's without A-Level Chemistry). I also know some people that have offers for Pharmacy with a BTEC WITHOUT A-Level chemistry as well.

All I'm saying is that keep going with the BTEC and I'm sure you will get the results you need to get in for Pharmacy :smile: If you have any questions feel free to message me :smile:
Depends where OP wants to go as well, higher ranked unis will want A level chem as well so annoying but true :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WorldPharmacist
Fallen petal is right! I've talked to students that already on the pharmacy course and they say that in 1st year, everyone is taught most 'basic' chemistry principles needed for pharmacy, so that everyone is up to scratch.

Edit:

I'm doing a foundation year because I really struggled with doing BTEC and A level chemistry at the same time and I have 2 offers already (I applied elsewhere as well) :smile: so that's worth a try!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I was just wondering how was taking the foundation year with pharmacy? Do u recommend taking it?

Quick Reply