CarolineAntonina
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello everyone.
I want to take IELTS next year and apply to university.
Do I need any other exams?
MkGuy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How do you mean? You would need to meet the standard entry requirements in addition to any IELTS score that the University stipulates. But as far as showing how proficient you are in English then IELTS is generally the only requirement if English isn't your first language and you are trying to secure a place at university in the UK.

Most universities have their IELTS requirements displayed amongst normal academic requirements in their prospectuses or online. If in doubt contact the admissions department.
lNurl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CarolineAntonina)
Hello everyone.
It all depends which uni you want to apply, which course and what qualifications you already have.

IELTS is examination for English language. If you don't have equivalents of A levels, and you want to apply for medicine just showing your IELTS result, no it's not enough.

Firstly, keep in mind that 6.0-6.5 are standard requirement for English language in majority of the UK unis. You have to have it. Then you have to chose which degree you want to do at which uni. Check the entry requirements, compare your qualifications, then apply

Best of luck
CarolineAntonina
Rep:
?
(Original post by lNurl)
It all depends which uni you want to apply, which course and what qualifications you already have.

IELTS is examination for English language. If you don't have equivalents of A levels, and you want to apply for medicine just showing your IELTS result, no it's not enough.

Firstly, keep in mind that 6.0-6.5 are standard requirement for English language in majority of the UK unis. You have to have it. Then you have to chose which degree you want to do at which uni. Check the entry requirements, compare your qualifications, then apply

Best of luck
Thank you. I know about that score. My problem is that I'm 17 and Im doing ESOL Level 1 so I don't have eguivalents of A-levels and I'm not sure what else I should take.
CarolineAntonina
Rep:
?
(Original post by MkGuy)
How do you mean? You would need to meet the standard entry requirements in addition to any IELTS score that the University stipulates. But as far as showing how proficient you are in English then IELTS is generally the only requirement if English isn't your first language and you are trying to secure a place at university in the UK.

Most universities have their IELTS requirements displayed amongst normal academic requirements in their prospectuses or online. If in doubt contact the admissions department.
Thank you
lNurl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you. I know about that score. My problem is that I'm 17 and Im doing ESOL Level 1 so I don't have eguivalents of A-levels and I'm not sure what else I should take.
you can still attend the college and get your A levels. ESOL is basically language programme as well. It does not give any UCAS points or anything. You can also try to do BTEC at college and apply to uni when you are 19 not 18.

What is highest qualification that you have? I'm thinking you migh be able to do foundation year at uni, then start your degree, but who wants to pay 9k for an extra year instead of doing standard qualifications at college for free?
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes that's the only thing for you to fulfill the English requirement.
CarolineAntonina
Rep:
?
(Original post by lNurl)
you can still attend the college and get your A levels. ESOL is basically language programme as well. It does not give any UCAS points or anything. You can also try to do BTEC at college and apply to uni when you are 19 not 18.

What is highest qualification that you have? I'm thinking you migh be able to do foundation year at uni, then start your degree, but who wants to pay 9k for an extra year instead of doing standard qualifications at college for free?
Well, I had to leave Sixth Form college because I had some problems there and there is no more colleges where I can do A-levels in my town.
If A-levels are required I'll try self-teaching.
Thank you for helping
lNurl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, I had to leave Sixth Form college because I had some problems there and there is no more colleges where I can do A-levels in my town.
If A-levels are required I'll try self-teaching.
Thank you for helping
No problems, always welcome. You can always try to get A levels as an external candidate
What type of course you want to do at uni?
CarolineAntonina
Rep:
?
(Original post by lNurl)
No problems, always welcome. You can always try to get A levels as an external candidate
What type of course you want to do at uni?
Psychology, criminology or English language
Louis Valdez
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hello everyone.
Off course not
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19