The Student Room Group

Should I take a level dt for engineering

I want to study electronic and computer engineering in uni. I am taking Maths, Physics and Computing. But I don't know what I should take for my forth option. I'm thinking about taking DT but my older sister says it is a soft subject and that I should take chem or geog. What should I take?
Original post by arduino_guy
I want to study electronic and computer engineering in uni. I am taking Maths, Physics and Computing. But I don't know what I should take for my forth option. I'm thinking about taking DT but my older sister says it is a soft subject and that I should take chem or geog. What should I take?

It depends on where you want to apply and whether you plan on dropping a subject anyway. You would probably be best doing the subject you think you are most likely to get the best grade in as most universities will favour a strong academic profile with the three essential subjects than a slightly weaker one with the same three essential subjects and one that is slightly more relevant.
Reply 2
Original post by arduino_guy

What makes her say it's a soft subject and is she an engineer herself?

DT is very much a complimentary subject for engineering and some places cite it as such. Given you stated your preferred area of engineering I'd say you're spot on with your choices Maths, Physics, Computing and DT. Do those to AS then carry forward Maths Physics and the strongest of either DT or Computing unless your chosen uni course specifies other necessary or preferred subjects. Can't see a lot of point in Geography unless you excel at it and really love it. Chemistry could be handy but not really necessary for the type of engineering you seem most into. Your first instincts were right.

My son did Maths, FM, Physics and DT to AS then dropped DT to carry forward the other 3 to A2. He's doing a degree in Mechanical Engineering now and the DT was certainly useful from the practical perspective of his course. One thing about DT though is that it can be time consuming with projects and all.
In order of preference: Further Maths, Electronics, DT
If your school does it then electronics would probably be more relevant than DT but otherwise go with DT. I know someone who had an offer from Cambridge and DT was one of her choices. Your other 3 are strong choices, could you do further maths to AS as well?
Reply 5
Original post by x__justmyluck
If your school does it then electronics would probably be more relevant than DT but otherwise go with DT. I know someone who had an offer from Cambridge and DT was one of her choices. Your other 3 are strong choices, could you do further maths to AS as well?

Are school unfortunately doesn't do electronics so that's out. But thanks!
I'm doing technology advanced higher, not sure how it compares to the English D&T but my tech course is the most engineering orientated of all my AHs with loads of electronics. People who think it's a soft subject probably haven't done it. To me if you're interested in engineering it seems daft not to do an engineering orientated qualification. I got uncond offers for mech eng with maths, physics and tech and good highers.
Depends where you opt to end up, also later in life. In some engineering dysciplines e.g. a foreign language is desirable/opens options, which is best to start studying young. The core engineering you will learn anyway and the difficult stuff and university will be theory, for that Further Math (Logic, Control Theory, Dynamics => Can't you take Further Math? Might be highly desirable for some universities.) or Chemistry(Process Engineering, Chemical Engineering => So to a lesser extent for you.) will be good. I am not talking about soft or academic, I just think, that some things are good to have a strong foundation and with other you should not bother, because it is not as useful. So I would look up as well the courses/job/subjects you want to do and the A Level syllabus and then decide. Engineering is such a huge field it is really difficult to give you advise, because depending where you want to end up or where you want to end up, DT will be useful or as useful as Religious Education.
(edited 10 years ago)
I did German and chemistry at higher but then dropped them for AH. In England you can do more subjects in the first year of A levels can't you? Can you just decide what to drop after the first year?
Reply 9
You don't need DT. Just do something you'll enjoy outside of Maths, Physics. (chemistry if going for chemical engineering too).
I can't stress how much I'd advise further maths if it is at all possible at your school. When you come to applying for courses, EVERYWHERE will think much more highly of someone that does further maths than single maths, you learn so much more.

I did FM, maths, physics and DT then dropped DT. It takes up so much of your time and isn't viewed that highly by universities. I wish I'd taken Chemistry, so if you can't do Further Maths take Chemistry as your fourth.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by RuSSeLLMaGuiRe
I can't stress how much I'd advise further maths if it is at all possible at your university. When you come to applying for courses, EVERYWHERE will think much more highly of someone that does further maths than single maths, you learn so much more.

I did FM, maths, physics and DT then dropped DT. It takes up so much of your time and isn't viewed that highly by universities. I wish I'd taken Chemistry, so if you can't do Further Maths take Chemistry as your fourth.

My son did exactly your subject combo and dropped DT after AS level to carry forward FM, Maths and Physics. Pretty much one of the reasons for dropping it was the time factor but he did find it a good supporting subject and provided useful experience. He's doing Mech Eng now.
Concerning the useful experience: Getting an internship in the summer holidays will probably do it as well. (Or in addition. Of course it is impossible to really work in engineering, but you might get a feeling for it and can ask a lot of questions.)

Quick Reply

Latest