Controlling and abusive relationships

Watch
Mako
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi I was just wondering since there is a sticky for long distance relationships shouldn’t there be a sticky for controlling and abusive relationships as well? I think it would be useful since this forum is so popular and it could help some people evaluate their relationships. It could also help people educate themselves on this kind of relationships to avoid going through something like that in the future. It could include a guide on how to recognize when a relationship is unhealthy and the forum members could share their experiences.

I am afraid these types of relationships are very common and many of my friends (mostly female ones) have gone through them so this could be very helpful. People tend to blame themselves in situations like these or are made to believe that anyone other than their partner wants to harm them and end up trapped in the relationship. I think by seeing what other people have experienced they could escape an abusive relationship much easier.
rmhumphries
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We have the 'This is Abuse Q&A' forum, which is staffed by a professional who deals with most of what would be dealt with in such a sticky. In the case of the LDR sticky, then it is designed for peer-support, where people in LDRs can help others in LDRs, where as with abusive relationships, advice is better given by a professional.
Mako
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hmm yes that's true, I have even asked one question there. To be honest even though the link is quite clear I never noticed it for months. I guess the same goes for other people as they just browse through the relationship articles. Its true that people in these kind of relationships need help from professionals but I think what i said would be useful for people who are not in abusive relationships in the sense that they can be more educated about them and avoid them altogether. Furthermore, maybe they could learn how to recognize if one of their loved ones is in an abusive relationship and provide help.

So what I suggest basically is a sticky providing all the relevant info about abusive relationships, how to recognize if you or in one or if the people you care about are in one, how to help and support someone in such a situation, provide a link to the Abuse Q&A forum, letting people share their experiences but clearly suggest professional help if they are in an abusive relationship. Finally, I think when you know that other people are going through the same thing you always feel safer because you can see that its not your fault and you are not weird or weak for being in such a situation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed