The Student Room Group

Calling all perspective MEDICAL/DENTISTRY STUDENTS. UKCAT HELP.

Hello all!

Im 3rd year med student so I know about all the perils of doing the Ukcat. Me and my programmer friend are thinking about making a very cheap Ukcat app with a fountain of questions for people to practice with. We aren't making this app for money but for experience. We have a basic design format but before we go into it I thought we would put some questions to the floor:

-Would you find the app helpful?
-Any features you think we should include?
-Any features which we should not include?
Reply 1
*prospective :P
Original post by JazzzyFizzle
Hello all!

Im 3rd year med student so I know about all the perils of doing the Ukcat. Me and my programmer friend are thinking about making a very cheap Ukcat app with a fountain of questions for people to practice with. We aren't making this app for money but for experience. We have a basic design format but before we go into it I thought we would put some questions to the floor:

-Would you find the app helpful?
-Any features you think we should include?
-Any features which we should not include?

To be completely honest, I don't think I'd be willing to spend any significant money on a UKCAT app by a medical student. I probably wouldn't trust that the questions are similiar enough to the real thing.

I think your best bet is to get in touch with someone like Medify who are already trusted and have a huge user/question base—and making an app for them.

However, there definitely is a market for a good UKCAT app. At the moment, the only way to practice is to sit in front of your computer/go through the 600Qs book. There's not really any good option for all the free time you have on public transport/during ads on TV.

So if you're still set on making your own app then it should have lots of different timed test options. E.g. you should be able to choose between 5/10/15/30/60 minute tests so I can do one whenever I have some free time. If you had 1000 practice questions, you could even give the first 100 away for free, and then charge for the next 900 so people know what they're paying for.

I've already done the UKCAT, but an app which teaches you different tactics and then gives you some questions to practice them with would be very useful. So say the tip is that you should triage harder questions, and come back to them if you have time—then the app could give you 15 QR questions in 2 minutes, and you would have to triage some of them or else it would be impossible to finish them in time.

A slick user interface would also be nice! But functionality is more important than aesthetics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending