The Student Room Group

HUGE spider outside my window!?!?! (Venomous?)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
I know a lot of people are scared of spiders, perhaps because some adults made a big fuss about them being around us when we were little, but they really are harmless to us and they have positive benefits, for example, they consume a lot of other insects in buildings that can be annoying. They are no threat in the UK.

I'm not being horrid about it, but I really would ask people not to be so cruel to them as sucking them up in vacuum cleaners. One harmless way to exclude them from your room or building (if you really can't bear them) is to put a jar or glass over them, carefully slide a piece of card under the jar and spider (do this gently so as not to break their legs or hurt them), then get a friend who can stand spiders to place them outside the door or window on to grass and release the card.

Please be nice to spiders - they are a valuable part of our wildlife. :colondollar:

I know it's cruel, but it's still an option, I was just suggesting it. :ashamed2:
Reply 21
if you put conkers in your house the spiders will not trouble you

:holmes:
Reply 22
I know a lot of people are scared of spiders, perhaps because some adults made a big fuss about them being around us when we were little, but they really are harmless to us and they have positive benefits, for example, they consume a lot of other insects in buildings that can be annoying. They are no threat in the UK.

I'm not being horrid about it, but I really would ask people not to be so cruel to them as sucking them up in vacuum cleaners. One harmless way to exclude them from your room or building (if you really can't bear them) is to put a jar or glass over them, carefully slide a piece of card under the jar and spider (do this gently so as not to break their legs or hurt them), then get a friend who can stand spiders to place them outside the door or window on to grass and release the card.

Please be nice to spiders - they are a valuable part of our wildlife. :colondollar:

I feel bad after reading that as I always kill spiders. I squish them or suck them up with the hoover, poor spiders :frown:
Original post by Maid Marian
I know it's cruel, but it's still an option, I was just suggesting it. :ashamed2:

Gosh, don't worry, I know some peeps find them terribly scary. :biggrin: I was just suggesting a reasonably easy non-lethal method of removing them. :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by marinaim
Just discovered a hug spider hiding in the crack of my hall window - it's been there a long time as it has a strong funnel-like web which it crawls into.
It's really big and also meaty - making us suspect it's venomous!
I can post a picture later..
Anyway what should I do? I can't really just kill it/throw it outside. Would it be weird to inform maintenance/hall person of it? :s-smilie::confused:

House spider most likely from your description. Non venomous.

The only venomous spider in the UK is little.

Just pop it in a cup and set it free.
Original post by the bear
if you put conkers in your house the spiders will not trouble you

:holmes:

Does that work?
OH DON'T!!! :bawling: My skin is crawling!!

Original post by Viva Emptiness
I hate you for this.

I know people, including my GF sort of, who don't really like house spiders, but are okay with Tarantulas as they're not so leggy/fast and look fuzzy. I mean how can you dislike A. versicolor, best Avic I think.... if I attached it right its even small till you click on it, so kind of me of you really can't bare spiders (though human nature would make you want to click on it anyway)

tarantulas_1_036.jpg
Reply 27
Does that work?

yes... they hate conkers. it is like if someone put Adele in my house

:creep:
Original post by joey11223
I know people, including my GF sort of, who don't really like house spiders, but are okay with Tarantulas as they're not so leggy/fast and look fuzzy. I mean how can you dislike A. versicolor, best Avic I think.... if I attached it right its even small till you click on it, so kind of me of you really can't bare spiders (though human nature would make you want to click on it anyway)

tarantulas_1_036.jpg

That guy is nice, he's jazzy, colourful and fluffy - more like a nice animal.

Gangly ones are the worse because they look so...alien. And their movements are really jerky which lends itself to being able to give me a small fright.

If you're right, I might try this as I can't bear spiders. :frown:
Reply 30

i can come round and show you where to put the conkers
That guy is nice, he's jazzy, colourful and fluffy - more like a nice animal.

Gangly ones are the worse because they look so...alien. And their movements are really jerky which lends itself to being able to give me a small fright.

Yeah my friends often think that, GF is kind of indifferent to them but she likes the ones which have pretty colours, and the fluffyness and their bulk sort of makes you forgot their a spider I think. Also out of the spiders I have, my Avic (not that species) is the only one I can hold, some tarantulas can be fast, though not like house spiders, but these guys move in slow motion, it puts up with me taking 5 minutes of tapping its legs to herd it out of its enclosure (lives in a tube with a lot of web) onto my hand without attacking me lol.

You're lying to me, my box friends have just told me it's not twoo :huff:

Oh God, my imagination.

...Why.
Yeah my friends often think that, GF is kind of indifferent to them but she likes the ones which have pretty colours, and the fluffyness and their bulk sort of makes you forgot their a spider I think. Also out of the spiders I have, my Avic (not that species) is the only one I can hold, some tarantulas can be fast, though not like house spiders, but these guys move in slow motion, it puts up with me taking 5 minutes of tapping its legs to herd it out of its enclosure (lives in a tube with a lot of web) onto my hand without attacking me lol.

Sounds kind of adorable (:lolwut:) what's it's name?

It's better if people just try to conker their fear of them.
Sounds kind of adorable (:lolwut:) what's it's name?

I call her Velvey because she sort of feels like velvet when you stroke her. All my tarantulas are female cos y'know males are only good for one thing and they spend the last 6 months of their comparatively short life's so focused on it they forget to eat basically. Where as the ladies can live for 10-40+ years (depends on the species).

Here be a photo...makes her look kinda small, think because my hand is closer to the tens than she is..

DSCF1912.jpg

I think if anything it's the supposed statement that spiders dislike citronella. Not sure how true it is, but you'd be better off spraying some sort of citrus air freshener or cleaning product to wipe surfaces I suppose, don't complain about any flies around in summer though haha.
I call her Velvey because she sort of feels like velvet when you stroke her. All my tarantulas are female cos y'know males are only good for one thing and they spend the last 6 months of their comparatively short life's so focused on it they forget to eat basically. Where as the ladies can live for 10-40+ years (depends on the species).

Here be a photo...makes her look kinda small, think because my hand is closer to the tens than she is..

DSCF1912.jpg

Hah, what a bunch of stupid males :sexface:

She's nice! Despite my hatred of spideys I kinda wanna give her a fuss. How old is she/how long have you had her? I didn't realise they lived so long...
Reply 39

This!

Please never kill a spider - there is really no need. If you're scared of it, just get someone else to remove it (or get over it) P:. They're lovely things if you give them a chance. /sig prod - that's Buffy...

OP - if you want it to be identified, just post a pic, or find a similar looking spidey on google images and post that. It's outside, though - just ignore it. o.o It means you no harm and is likely more scared of you than you will ever be of it.

Quick Reply

Latest