The Student Room Group

HUGE spider outside my window!?!?! (Venomous?)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by marinaim
Heeellll no. I wish!

If it bites you, you might turn into Spidergirl - Imagine that :wink:

spider_girl_ripped_n_torn_by_blacksheepart-d7103ku.jpg
Just headbutt the ****
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by joey11223
They get eaten if you're not careful, unlike mantids they don't usually get eaten during the act itself lol, it's after if they can't push her legs away and leg it. Sometimes it's okay, the temperament of females towards males depends on species sometimes I think, some seem to tolerate them in the same enclosure for a while, some seem to treat them as food quickly :tongue:.

Yeah I have 7 tarantulas (soon to be 9), I've lost a couple over the years as when they shed their skin they can have problems on occasion. Got 1 tail-less whip scorpion, an unrealistically large one was in Harry Potter apparently, then two green anole lizards and....an African Pygmy Hedgehog, which lets me off the hook for any other pets, though she's the grumpiest hedgehog you'll ever meet who hates humans. :tongue:

Hehe, poor old chaps. Wow, you have a lot of pets! OK, so I Googled that hedgehog...they are like the cutest things around. I bet you get all the girls with her :tongue: Until her misanthropy becomes obvious I guess haha. I just have two bunnies (boos), they are annoying enough to keep me busy without any more animals!
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Hehe, poor old chaps. Wow, you have a lot of pets! OK, so I Googled that hedgehog...they are like the cutest things around. I bet you get all the girls with her :tongue: Until her misanthropy becomes obvious I guess haha. I just have two bunnies (boos), they are annoying enough to keep me busy without any more animals!

Well actually it was my girlfriend who convinced me to get one, I don't usually get "warm bloods" as pets. :tongue:. Knowledge for if I get another when she dies (she's 4, got her at 9 months old, lifespan seems variable from what I've seen, she is sort of classed as old-ish though), is that I get a baby and socialize it a lot, because I don't think she was hence being moody. She doesn't ever bite at least.
Just discovered a hug spider hiding in the crack of my hall window - it's been there a long time as it has a strong funnel-like web which it crawls into.
It's really big and also meaty - making us suspect it's venomous!
I can post a picture later..
Anyway what should I do? I can't really just kill it/throw it outside. Would it be weird to inform maintenance/hall person of it? :s-smilie::confused:

Original post by Mockery
Here's his bigger, less disabled, brother.

My advice would be to take a picture of the actual spider and photoshop it to make look less frightening, and then stick it up on your wall. Something like this might be good!

lynx_spider_by_melvynyeo-d637lxz.jpg
Just discovered a hug spider hiding in the crack of my hall window - it's been there a long time as it has a strong funnel-like web which it crawls into.
It's really big and also meaty - making us suspect it's venomous!
I can post a picture later..
Anyway what should I do? I can't really just kill it/throw it outside. Would it be weird to inform maintenance/hall person of it? :s-smilie::confused:

That's what she said :colone:

Coax it out, trap between a jar and a thin piece of paper or card, and toss it in the bin.

You could also just smash the hell out of it, which would be a cruel but more certain way that, if venomous, the spider won't get you.
Reply 66
Original post by SMEGGGY
If it bites you, you might turn into Spidergirl - Imagine that :wink:

spider_girl_ripped_n_torn_by_blacksheepart-d7103ku.jpg

is she... missing her nipples?

Original post by The_Dragonborn
That's what she said :colone:

Coax it out, trap between a jar and a thin piece of paper or card, and toss it in the bin.

You could also just smash the hell out of it, which would be a cruel but more certain way that, if venomous, the spider won't get you.

Ahahahahahaha :colondollar: yep exactly it!

and I'll peek at it tonight me thinks and then investigate it more tomorrow when it's safe in the day!
I knew reading this thread was a mistake.

I knew it.

It feels like it's on me.
Reply 68
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I knew reading this thread was a mistake.

I knew it.

It feels like it's on me.

Guessing a sexy photo of the spider when I get one sent straight to your inbox would not be appreciated? :wink:
Original post by joey11223
They get eaten if you're not careful, unlike mantids they don't usually get eaten during the act itself lol, it's after if they can't push her legs away and leg it. Sometimes it's okay, the temperament of females towards males depends on species sometimes I think, some seem to tolerate them in the same enclosure for a while, some seem to treat them as food quickly :tongue:.

Yeah I have 7 tarantulas (soon to be 9), I've lost a couple over the years as when they shed their skin they can have problems on occasion. Got 1 tail-less whip scorpion, an unrealistically large one was in Harry Potter apparently, then two green anole lizards and....an African Pygmy Hedgehog, which lets me off the hook for any other pets, though she's the grumpiest hedgehog you'll ever meet who hates humans. :tongue:

They sound like my dream pets. Only I'd want a snake too. :cool:
Original post by redferry
give it a hug.

We used to have one of the so called 'KILLER SPIDERS!!!!!' (as the daily mail dubbed them) living in our flat in Bristol.

she was cool.

As i stick Bristol as my insurance, thanks guys lol.
Original post by Daniellejo.
They sound like my dream pets. Only I'd want a snake too. :cool:

I don't mind snakes, though I'm not so interested in heavy bodied ground dwelling species. My favourite species are DWA sadly, but I'd probably get an egg eating snake or a rough green snake (insect eating), I hear the latter are quite fragile and prone to health issues if you don't get things right.
Reply 72
Is she... missing her nipples?

Spider eated them :frown:
Reply 73
Original post by Maid Marian
:console:

Maybe attack it with a vacuum cleaner?
Spiders give me the right shivers :frown:

Would you be happy if a spider would suck you in with vacuum cleaner? :hmmm:
Original post by spiral87
Well, it could be a giant house spider, pretty sure they're funnel webbed. Non-venomous, but their bite can pierce human skin and they're officially the fastest moving spider in the world. Sorry son, your days are numbered.

Wah! Why did you have to post that picture and state those scary facts? I HATE spiders and your picture has actually scared me a little :frown:

Btw, this is not a joke :unimpressed:
Reply 75
Original post by Maid Marian
You're lying to me, my box friends have just told me it's not twoo :huff:

bear™ is not sure what box friends are ?

do you mean you do boxing ?

or keep your friends in a box :holmes:

or you have "friends" made out of the wood of the box tree Buxus sempervirens ?

:confused:
Original post by the bear
bear™ is not sure what box friends are ?

do you mean you do boxing ?

or keep your friends in a box :holmes:

or you have "friends" made out of the wood of the box tree Buxus sempervirens ?

:confused:

The box is the secret place where subs chat :ninja:
Original post by spiral87
Well, it could be a giant house spider, pretty sure they're funnel webbed. Non-venomous, but their bite can pierce human skin and they're officially the fastest moving spider in the world. Sorry son, your days are numbered.

I don't think they bite humans randomly do they?
Original post by the bear
yes... they hate conkers. it is like if someone put Adele in my house

:creep:

Don't you know it's illegal in the UK to dislike ADELEGEND?!
After living in Brisbane I have gotten used to spiders. They are mostly fine.

Quick Reply

Latest