gowill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

Would somebody kindly help me answer the following question please:

'Would you anticipate the activation energy of a reaction to be larger or smaller than a typical bond energy?' .

I imagine that the activation energy would be higher than the bond energy, but I am unsure of how to explain this and would appreciate an explanation so as to understand this.

Thanks for your help
Big-Daddy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gowill)
Hi,

Would somebody kindly help me answer the following question please:

'Would you anticipate the activation energy of a reaction to be larger or smaller than a typical bond energy?' .

I imagine that the activation energy would be higher than the bond energy, but I am unsure of how to explain this and would appreciate an explanation so as to understand this.

Thanks for your help
A typical bond dissociation energy might be +400 kJ/mol. A typical activation energy would be between maybe 15 and 200 kJ/mol. I would expect the bond dissociation energy to be higher. And a bond formation energy, while lower than an activation energy, would be larger in magnitude.
username913907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Big-Daddy)
A typical bond dissociation energy might be +400 kJ/mol. A typical activation energy would be between maybe 15 and 200 kJ/mol. I would expect the bond dissociation energy to be higher. And a bond formation energy, while lower than an activation energy, would be larger in magnitude.
you should take into account that the activation energy is the energy to the transition state so this included bond formation too
Big-Daddy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JMaydom)
you should take into account that the activation energy is the energy to the transition state so this included bond formation too
Hmm I'm not sure what that adds to the question at hand ...?
Ari Ben Canaan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I hate these kinds of questions... I mean what is the point ? Its not adding anything to the learning process and just encourages rote memorisation of answers.
username913907
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmm I'm not sure what that adds to the question at hand ...?
ehh..... It does add to the question thankyou. Maybe an explanation based upon theory rather than just taking an average of the bond enthalpies you know and comparing them to average activation energies would be answering the question!!!
Big-Daddy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ehh..... It does add to the question thankyou. Maybe an explanation based upon theory rather than just taking an average of the bond enthalpies you know and comparing them to average activation energies would be answering the question!!!
Of course that would be better. I am asking, for the OP's sake as well as my own, how the theory in your post adequately explains activation energies being much smaller than bond energies.

You did quote my post - now I'm looking for the answer!
username913907
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Of course that would be better. I am asking, for the OP's sake as well as my own, how the theory in your post adequately explains activation energies being much smaller than bond energies.

You did quote my post - now I'm looking for the answer!
Lets use [OH]- + MeCl as an example. The bond enthalpy for the C-Cl is the energy required to break the bond, the activation energy is the energy to the transition state which is a state where the C-Cl bond is partially broken but the C-O bond is partially formed, so lower than the bond enthalpy.
Big-Daddy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lets use [OH]- + MeCl as an example. The bond enthalpy for the C-Cl is the energy required to break the bond, the activation energy is the energy to the transition state which is a state where the C-Cl bond is partially broken but the C-O bond is partially formed, so lower than the bond enthalpy.
Ah I see

And what do you about the "transition state" for a reaction that involves a more stable intermediate, e.g. SN1?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ah I see

And what do you about the "transition state" for a reaction that involves a more stable intermediate, e.g. SN1?
There is still a transition state (energy barrier) required to achieve the stabilised intermediate...
username913907
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by charco)
There is still a transition state (energy barrier) required to achieve the stabilised intermediate...

Ah I see

In this (Sn1) solvation is VERY important to the energy changes. In calculations of bond enthalpy it will be for gas phase molecules, so no solvation.
gowill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ok, I understand this now given the explanations.

Thank you all very much for your help and quick responses
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (111)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (332)
14.98%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (241)
10.88%
Lack of purpose or motivation (307)
13.85%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (102)
4.6%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (128)
5.78%
Loneliness (192)
8.66%
Financial worries (86)
3.88%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (93)
4.2%
Exposure to negative news/social media (104)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (118)
5.32%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (193)
8.71%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (209)
9.43%

Watched Threads