The Student Room Group

Is there anybody who listens to classical music for pleasure?

I'm wondering if there are still people who listen to classical music or film music for pleasure. It is so often associated with older people but is it true or just another stereotype?
Do people need this kind of music at all?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

Get some proper headphones and whack this banger on full volume.
I do, yes.
Original post by Plainview

Get some proper headphones and whack this banger on full volume.

I've always thought of Brahms as being more Romantic than classical but it's always hard to differentiate at the beginning and end of periods. Besides, composers often use a host of influences.
Reply 3
Original post by stella1dd
I'm wondering if there are still people who listen to classical music or film music for pleasure. It is so often associated with older people but is it true or just another stereotype?
Do people need this kind of music at all?

I listen to all Genres. Classical is one. Famous pieces like Moonlight Sonata, Fur Elise

:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I definitely do. In fact I sometimes feel like I'm the only one in my circle of friends who appreciates it, which is pretty unfortunate. It can be so inspiring and beautiful, you just have to really try to get into it.
MEEEEEEEEEEEEE (a name, I call myself) :wavey:

No, but I do enjoy watching the mozart genuis of football that is Rosicky:coma:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7

It may be a Waltz but I still consider it classical :tongue:
Reply 8
Classical music is the best type of music in my opinion, it just doesn't suit the majority of atmospheres.
I play in a classical orchestra, whilst I mostly listen to alt/rock I do enjoy classical music from time to time.

It's also great to revise to, especially Bach.
(edited 10 years ago)
Chopin.
Yes, I do sometimes. I like loads of different genres (pop, hip hop, electronic, etc), but classical is great for when I'm in that mood for listening to soothing music with no vocals. I think Minuet by Luigi Boccherini is definitely up there as one of my faves :biggrin:. I also really like the Amelie film soundtrack :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by pnorm
Classical music is the best type of music in my opinion, it just doesn't suit the majority of atmospheres.

I agree with you totally
Reply 13
Original post by pnorm

I agree with you totally.
Reply 14
Original post by SMEGGGY
I listen to all Genres. Classical is one. Famous pieces like Moonlight Sonata, Fur Elise

:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard people say this a lot. So far I've yet to find anyone who can even come close to listing all genres, let alone listening/liking them.

As for the topic at hand...I sometimes do. I have a thing for Vivaldi's Four Seasons.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by WhimsicalSloth
I definitely do. In fact I sometimes feel like I'm the only one in my circle of friends who appreciates it, which is pretty unfortunate. It can be so inspiring and beautiful, you just have to really try to get into it.

Same here :smile:

Recently, I've discovered many less famous pieces and they're amazing. For example, a lot of people know "Moonlight Sonata" but actually, mostly, only its 1st movement, while the 3rd Movement is fantastic and unfortunately underestimated.
[video="youtube;6unwFFeNTjQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6unwFFeNTjQ[/video]
Original post by stella1dd
Same here :smile:

Recently, I've discovered many less famous pieces and they're amazing. For example, a lot of people know "Moonlight Sonata" but actually, mostly, only its 1st movement, while the 3rd Movement is fantastic and unfortunately underestimated.
[video="youtube;6unwFFeNTjQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6unwFFeNTjQ[/video]

I know exactly what you mean :smile: I try to avoid the more well known stuff nowadays as I don't want to get tired of it. I love that piece as well, it's so distinctive and powerful, like his 'Tempest' sonata.

I recommend anyone to listen to Strauss's Four Last Songs though if you want to listen to something special.
Yes :cute:

I've found when talking about the younger generation, it is mostly those involved with playing musical instruments/singing that listen to this kind of music for fun.

I love lots of things myself, but they tend to have more meaning if you've played them.
Reply 18
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Yes :cute:

I've found when talking about the younger generation, it is mostly those involved with playing musical instruments/singing that listen to this kind of music for fun.

I love lots of things myself, but they tend to have more meaning if you've played them.

I think you're right about playing instruments and singing.
I used to learn to play piano, it was a great experience. Thanks to that I realised how hard to play most of these famous pieces are :wink:

My favourite piece of music ever written. Mostly I just listen to classical when I'm revising.

Quick Reply

Latest