Is there anybody who listens to classical music for pleasure?

Watch
stella1dd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm wondering if there are still people who listen to classical music or film music for pleasure. It is so often associated with older people but is it true or just another stereotype?
Do people need this kind of music at all?
Plainview
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Get some proper headphones and whack this banger on full volume.
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do, yes.
(Original post by Plainview)

Get some proper headphones and whack this banger on full volume.
I've always thought of Brahms as being more Romantic than classical but it's always hard to differentiate at the beginning and end of periods. Besides, composers often use a host of influences.
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by stella1dd)
I'm wondering if there are still people who listen to classical music or film music for pleasure. It is so often associated with older people but is it true or just another stereotype?
Do people need this kind of music at all?
I listen to all Genres. Classical is one. Famous pieces like Moonlight Sonata, Fur Elise

:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
WhimsicalSloth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I definitely do. In fact I sometimes feel like I'm the only one in my circle of friends who appreciates it, which is pretty unfortunate. It can be so inspiring and beautiful, you just have to really try to get into it.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
MEEEEEEEEEEEEE (a name, I call myself) :wavey:
Solemn Rain
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

No, but I do enjoy watching the mozart genuis of football that is Rosicky:coma:
Ornlu
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

It may be a Waltz but I still consider it classical
pnorm
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Classical music is the best type of music in my opinion, it just doesn't suit the majority of atmospheres.
contradicta
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I play in a classical orchestra, whilst I mostly listen to alt/rock I do enjoy classical music from time to time.

It's also great to revise to, especially Bach.
ghostly1010
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Chopin.
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, I do sometimes. I like loads of different genres (pop, hip hop, electronic, etc), but classical is great for when I'm in that mood for listening to soothing music with no vocals. I think Minuet by Luigi Boccherini is definitely up there as one of my faves . I also really like the Amelie film soundtrack
orebach
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pnorm)
Classical music is the best type of music in my opinion, it just doesn't suit the majority of atmospheres.
I agree with you totally
orebach
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pnorm)
I agree with you totally.
Manitude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SMEGGGY)
I listen to all Genres. Classical is one. Famous pieces like Moonlight Sonata, Fur Elise

:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've heard people say this a lot. So far I've yet to find anyone who can even come close to listing all genres, let alone listening/liking them.

As for the topic at hand...I sometimes do. I have a thing for Vivaldi's Four Seasons.
stella1dd
Rep:
?
(Original post by WhimsicalSloth)
I definitely do. In fact I sometimes feel like I'm the only one in my circle of friends who appreciates it, which is pretty unfortunate. It can be so inspiring and beautiful, you just have to really try to get into it.
Same here

Recently, I've discovered many less famous pieces and they're amazing. For example, a lot of people know "Moonlight Sonata" but actually, mostly, only its 1st movement, while the 3rd Movement is fantastic and unfortunately underestimated.
WhimsicalSloth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by stella1dd)
Same here

Recently, I've discovered many less famous pieces and they're amazing. For example, a lot of people know "Moonlight Sonata" but actually, mostly, only its 1st movement, while the 3rd Movement is fantastic and unfortunately underestimated.
I know exactly what you mean I try to avoid the more well known stuff nowadays as I don't want to get tired of it. I love that piece as well, it's so distinctive and powerful, like his 'Tempest' sonata.

I recommend anyone to listen to Strauss's Four Last Songs though if you want to listen to something special.
Emaemmaemily
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes :cute:

I've found when talking about the younger generation, it is mostly those involved with playing musical instruments/singing that listen to this kind of music for fun.

I love lots of things myself, but they tend to have more meaning if you've played them.
stella1dd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emaemmaemily)
Yes :cute:

I've found when talking about the younger generation, it is mostly those involved with playing musical instruments/singing that listen to this kind of music for fun.

I love lots of things myself, but they tend to have more meaning if you've played them.
I think you're right about playing instruments and singing.
I used to learn to play piano, it was a great experience. Thanks to that I realised how hard to play most of these famous pieces are
aspirinpharmacist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

My favourite piece of music ever written. Mostly I just listen to classical when I'm revising.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads