The Student Room Group

Good plan for career path?

Hi all,

I have generalised a lot here; I am just thinking about my future that's all. just wondering if this is any good?

Get A levels done
Go to university; BSc Economics?
Straight after BSc Economics do an MBA?
Then work as an Analyst at a hedge fund or something like that?
Then go work as Associate?
Then wean my way into the Banking Management or Investment Banking senior posts?

I haven't even started my A levels yet, so this is just a sort of 'life plan'. By the way, I hope to work in New York City because there are a lot of banking opportunities there, more than London. Hopefully US college and then MBA from an American university?

Thank in advance for any help given!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by londoncricket
Hi all,

I have generalised a lot here; I am just thinking about my future that's all. just wondering if this is any good?

Get A levels done
Then wean my way into the Banking Management or Investment Banking senior posts?

I haven't even started my A levels yet, so this is just a sort of 'life plan'. By the way, I hope to work in New York City because there are a lot of banking opportunities there, more than London. Hopefully US college and then MBA from an American university?

Flaw 1: You won't be able to do an MBA straight after your undergraduate. You'd have to work as an Analyst for three years before commencing an MBA and in banking, that generally isn't really recommended - I mean, what's the point if you can just get promoted to Associate straight away? MBAs are generally for career changers although I could see some value if you want to be seriously senior some day.

Flaw 2: You can't just go work a hedge fund, most start at an IB and then jump over when they have a track-record.

Flaw 3: It's rare someone then works for a hedge fund and jumps back to IB into a more senior role. I mean, why would anyone do that? If you want to be senior at an IB, you usually stay at an IB and get promoted internally or jump between banks.

Flaw 4: What the hell is Banking Management, you mean Investment Management?

Flaw 5: New York is insanely competitive compared to London and networking carries way more value there, and most of what you said doesn't seem to add any weight to the competitive issue or the internships or even starting out, you're just going to jump straight into a hedge fund - it never happens.

Flaw 6: Your career path is never straight, focus on your A Levels, ECs, Leadership, Voluntary Work and Work Experience for now.

Search for Mergers & Inquisitions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by will2348
Flaw 1: You won't be able to do an MBA straight after your undergraduate. You'd have to work as an Analyst for three years before commencing an MBA and in banking, that generally isn't really recommended - I mean, what's the point if you can just get promoted to Associate straight away? MBAs are generally for career changers although I could see some value if you want to be seriously senior some day.

Flaw 2: You can't just go work a hedge fund, most start at an IB and then jump over when they have a track-record.

Flaw 3: It's rare someone then works for a hedge fund and jumps back to IB into a more senior role. I mean, why would anyone do that? If you want to be senior at an IB, you usually stay at an IB and get promoted internally or jump between banks.

Flaw 4: What the hell is Banking Management, you mean Investment Management?

Flaw 5: New York is insanely competitive compared to London and networking carries way more value there, and most of what you said doesn't seem to add any weight to the competitive issue or the internships or even starting out, you're just going to jump straight into a hedge fund - it never happens.

Flaw 6: Your career path is never straight, focus on your A Levels, ECs, Leadership, Voluntary Work and Work Experience for now.

Search for Mergers & Inquisitions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the constructive criticism. Flaw 4 was a mistake; my autocorrect changed it to Banking when it should have been Investment. Sorry.

Yes, I want to go as senior as possible.

Oh okay, getting into an IB is easier than a hedge fund? Wow! I thought the opposite. Yes, my ultimate aim is to work at an IB. How would I get contacts at my age (GCSE age)? I don't have any family connections at all?

Thanks again!
Thanks for the constructive criticism. Flaw 4 was a mistake; my autocorrect changed it to Banking when it should have been Investment. Sorry.

Yes, I want to go as senior as possible.

Oh okay, getting into an IB is easier than a hedge fund? Wow! I thought the opposite. Yes, my ultimate aim is to work at an IB. How would I get contacts at my age (GCSE age)? I don't have any family connections at all?

Thanks again!

Well, not saying IB is easy, it certainly is not - but a HF is well off the cards without connections and without going through an IB. It's more that the HFs like knowing you've performed well and developed great insights and skills at an IB that you can use for them.

JPM, MS, HSBC, RBS and Nomura all run AS/A Level Programmes. Not sure about GCSE level, but think JPM might do something down in Bournemouth and HSBC I think also run something (it's retail, but it's a start for your age). Network at those events with people your age, junior and senior bankers.
yh mate... it is good to see you are eager - i myself aim to follow a similar path.

forget doing a masters or phd or mba; you will be too old at the end of it - banks favour young people as they are full of energy (for those 100hr week) plus you would have lost 3+ years of work as an analyst that could get you promoted in years

hedge funds as already said, virtually impossible to get into without contacts. I know someone who is heading a mass project for a private equity firm; who told me that get in is hard; regardless of how many contacts you have.

But yes; i am currently doing my a levels (maths, furhter maths, german and economics) do a language as JPM reject pretty much anybody who doesnt have a language a level.

Focus on your university application - get into LSE/Cambridge/UCL/Warwick - the name of the uni will pretty much give you a place in banking - who knows, many students whilst in uni are head hunted for stupid salaries (a friend of mine at warwick dropped out of their 3rd year to pursue a job valued at £127,000 salary)
Original post by will2348
Well, not saying IB is easy, it certainly is not - but a HF is well off the cards without connections and without going through an IB. It's more that the HFs like knowing you've performed well and developed great insights and skills at an IB that you can use for them.

JPM, MS, HSBC, RBS and Nomura all run AS/A Level Programmes. Not sure about GCSE level, but think JPM might do something down in Bournemouth and HSBC I think also run something (it's retail, but it's a start for your age). Network at those events with people your age, junior and senior bankers.

Yes, thanks for the prompt reply! I have applied for the HSBC Work Experience placement already; got to the interview stage.
I will do all of the A level programmes, hopefully!
Thanks again.

Original post by tazza ma razza
yh mate... it is good to see you are eager - i myself aim to follow a similar path.

forget doing a masters or phd or mba; you will be too old at the end of it - banks favour young people as they are full of energy (for those 100hr week) plus you would have lost 3+ years of work as an analyst that could get you promoted in years

hedge funds as already said, virtually impossible to get into without contacts. I know someone who is heading a mass project for a private equity firm; who told me that get in is hard; regardless of how many contacts you have.

But yes; i am currently doing my a levels (maths, furhter maths, german and economics) do a language as JPM reject pretty much anybody who doesnt have a language a level.

Focus on your university application - get into LSE/Cambridge/UCL/Warwick - the name of the uni will pretty much give you a place in banking - who knows, many students whilst in uni are head hunted for stupid salaries (a friend of mine at warwick dropped out of their 3rd year to pursue a job valued at £127,000 salary)

Oh alright, thanks for that! I didn't know that a language was so necessary! What are your predicted grades for A levels?

Wow, that story! £127k!
Oh alright, thanks for that! I didn't know that a language was so necessary! What are your predicted grades for A levels?

Wow, that story! £127k!

4As - if you dont get this forget applying for economics as the top 5 unis will reject you straight away; meaning you will find it harder to get the job at the end of the course. In which case, apply for AandF, at LSE. again, the uni name carries all you need.

I have a week at an lse, ucl and ulu summer school as well; i'd recommend you apply for some.

but yes, the money is lying there ready to be snatched!
(edited 10 years ago)
4As - if you dont get this forget applying for economics as the top 5 unis will reject you straight away; meaning you will find it harder to get the job at the end of the course. In which case, apply for AandF, at LSE. again, the uni name carries all you need.

I have a week at an lse, ucl and ulu summer school as well; i'd recommend you apply for some.

but yes, the money is lying there ready to be snatched!

How did you get the week at LSE and UCL? Can you give me some links to websites please?

Thanks!
How did you get the week at LSE and UCL? Can you give me some links to websites please?

Thanks!

sorry man, my friend told me that her sister did it and so i asked to see both her and her sister, and we filled in the form together. Google debate chamber - i go in august.
sorry man, my friend told me that her sister did it and so i asked to see both her and her sister, and we filled in the form together. Google debate chamber - i go in august.

No problem! Thanks!
http://www.debatechamber.com/summerschools/economics-summer-school/ UCL summer school. I'm planning to go this year, so might see you there.

I wouldn't put too much weight on going to a US uni especially for undergrad. They probably wouldn't advance you any further than a British target one and are 10000000000 times the price. However for an MBA that's a different story. Do you have ideas what you're going to pick for A levels and what you're working towards at GCSE?
Reply 11

If you don't mind me asking, what field is he in?
Original post by MoneypennyLyon
http://www.debatechamber.com/summerschools/economics-summer-school/ UCL summer school. I'm planning to go this year, so might see you there.

I wouldn't put too much weight on going to a US uni especially for undergrad. They probably wouldn't advance you any further than a British target one and are 10000000000 times the price. However for an MBA that's a different story. Do you have ideas what you're going to pick for A levels and what you're working towards at GCSE?

Thanks, I did have a look at that. I will try to apply very soon. UCL? I thought it was ULU? Probably Maths, Further Maths, Economics and then something else. Maybe a language, or a science. At the moment, I am at 2A*s and 4As, in Year 10. Predicted 2A*s and 7As at end of Year 10. Hopefully increase the As to A*s by the end of Year 11? Hopefully? How about you?
Original post by F4N

Yes, good point! What field is he in? Or did he get into for that job?
Reply 14

I am calling complete BS on this one. Think about it logically, unless it was his dad paying him the 127k who in their right mind would give a drop out from Warwick 127k job?!!?! Why wouldn't they just hire a GS banker who has had 3 years experience?

Again BS that JP morgan doesn't recruit anybody without a language, i doubt people who study engineering/maths or even economics at oxbridge have a language at a level yet they are the top target for these firms.
(edited 10 years ago)
If life was that simple everybody would be walking around with check-lists.
One cannot plan for their life... only their ideal life.
Reply 16
Hi all,

Get A levels done

Haha people like you make me laugh. It is almost like the oxbridge maths -> GS TMT 3 year stint -> MBA at Harvard -> hedge fund/private equity -> profit. career path. I wouldn't even plan your first job yet because you could just fall at the first hurdle and not get the required grades for your uni. I would forget the career path for now and just make sure you nail your a levels and worry about getting the job during uni.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by F4N

he being...
Reply 18
Woah there, slow down horsey. Focus on your Alevels and think of possible work experience avenues you could do.
Original post by Luxray
Woah there, slow down horsey. Focus on your Alevels and think of possible work experience avenues you could do.

Okay, I will. Do you know of any avenues that I could go down?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending