The Student Room Group

I've gained a stone...but I see no differences?

I'm trying to gain weight. Everyday I weigh myself at the same time, to make it a reliable measurement. In the last 5 weeks I've gained 11 pounds (8 pounds in the last 2 weeks alone, which is weird) and I've been doing ab workouts/weightlifting to make sure the extra food turns into muscle, not fat.

I'm eating lots of peanut butter/baby bells/ham/cheese/milk/sausage rolls to get all the necessary protein and calories. And the regime appears to be working, but why have I noticed no physical differences at all?
Reply 1
Might be your body type. I have the same problem, except Im trying to lose weight not gain it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
8 pounds in 2 weeks is very high, its extremely unlikely you are performing a "clean" bulk, try eating healthy low fat sources of protein where possible. Peanuts are good, so is chicken, eggs, fish etc.. A lot of the food you listed is very rich in fat so any muscle you are putting on wont be visible as you are losing definition by upping your body fat %
You might have lost some fat but gained some muscle so your size seems quite similar? You might be retaining lots of water? That's all I can think of from what you've said
Reply 4
Original post by mahatma ghandi
8 pounds in 2 weeks is very high, its extremely unlikely you are performing a "clean" bulk, try eating healthy low fat sources of protein where possible. Peanuts are good, so is chicken, eggs, fish etc.. A lot of the food you listed is very rich in fat so any muscle you are putting on wont be visible as you are losing definition by upping your body fat %

I do eat 2 eggs a day and by ham I meant 'chicken slices' so I think I'm getting healthy protein. The babybels are 'light' (low in fat) as well...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Baby bells are not low in fat lol, and consuming lots of cheese/milk/sausage rolls is bound to be keeping/increasing your body fat. This is why there is no visible difference in your body, because muscle you put on is being offset by the fact it is a dirty bulk
Reply 6
Original post by mahatma ghandi
Baby bells are not low in fat lol, and consuming lots of cheese/milk/sausage rolls is bound to be keeping/increasing your body fat. This is why there is no visible difference in your body, because muscle you put on is being offset by the fact it is a dirty bulk

As I already told you, they are 'light' babybels and it really doesn't matter because I have just one a day. I don't know what a 'dirty bulk' is but I see no increases in fat - if I did then I'd be happy because my BMI is only 17 so I need more fat as much as I need more muscle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply