The Student Room Group

How to make notes for philosophy? (aqa) AS Level

Can anyone who has either got an A or a B in philosophy, please tell me how they made notes for philosophy; (did you use a textbook) also how do you remember the information. There is too much content. With my essays I am currently at a C/D grade and I really wish I could improve it. Can someone please help me! :'-(
Reply 1
Original post by asdfghjkl12
Can anyone who has either got an A or a B in philosophy, please tell me how they made notes for philosophy; (did you use a textbook) also how do you remember the information. There is too much content. With my essays I am currently at a C/D grade and I really wish I could improve it. Can someone please help me! :'-(

I actually used my notes from classes, we were taught very lecture-style by a great teacher so they were very good.

There is too much content. It's a big flaw of AQA Philosophy, I think they are working to cut it down but just remember that you don't have to mention all of the positions. You can get an A just by using 2 if you do it really well, or you could get an A by mentioning as many as possible. There's no set way to do it.

Can I ask what topics you're doing? I could then maybe tell you how to structure your revision notes.

I just about scraped an A last year with 164/200. 88 in one exam and 76 in the other.
Reply 2
Thank you, and Congrats!
what do you mean by all of the positions? :smile:

Philosophy:
The Cosmological argument
Religious experience
Atheism and Postmodernism

Ethics:
Utilitarianism
Situation Ethics
Abortion and Euthanasia :-)

Thank you for replying <3 xxx
Reply 3
Original post by asdfghjkl12
Thank you, and Congrats!
what do you mean by all of the positions? :smile:

Philosophy:
The Cosmological argument
Religious experience
Atheism and Postmodernism

Ethics:
Utilitarianism
Situation Ethics
Abortion and Euthanasia :-)

Thank you for replying <3 xxx

Ah, see I did Personhood, Free Will and Determinism, God, Design and the Problem of Evil and Reason and Experience. Each of them included a range of positions on the subject :smile:

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be of much help. I'm studying Ethics as a topic in A2 so I might be able to help you with some utilitarianism stuff.
Reply 4
Original post by Lialore
Ah, see I did Personhood, Free Will and Determinism, God, Design and the Problem of Evil and Reason and Experience. Each of them included a range of positions on the subject :smile:

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be of much help. I'm studying Ethics as a topic in A2 so I might be able to help you with some utilitarianism stuff.

I'm studying God, Design and the Problem of Evil and Reason and Experience too. I was wondering what exam techniques there are that perhaps helped you get an A and was curious about how I could structure my revision notes for these particular topics? :-)
Reply 5
Original post by Lialore

Hey I'm studying the exact same topics (Personhood, Free Will and Determinism, God, Design and the Problem of Evil and Reason and Experience)!

I am really struggling with reason and experience and free will and determinism although Personhood and God and the world seem ok.

Do you have any tips, or notes even, on how to approach the topics (reason and experience and free will and determinism). I'd appreciate if you could respond to this comment or PM me, it'd be a great help

Thanks!
Original post by Lialore

I do those topics too! Could you help me on illustrating introspection in the question explain and illustrate the view that certainty is confined to tautology and introspection. I've used Hume's fork and the relations of ideas as a brief explanation for tautological statements.

I also struggle to answer "the distinctions between reasons and causes, action and bodily movement mean that determinism is not an accurate theory to explain human decision making".

How do I structure "convincing claim" questions and "implications"?

Quick Reply

Latest