The Student Room Group

should I leave my apprenticeship to do a levels?

Hi, sorry if this sounds a bit lame or anything I'm completely new to help forums and stuff like this really!

So I'm doing this apprenticeship in a pathology lab and I love the work I'm doing. It's interesting and challenges me but I hate the fact I'm doing a level 2 btec and nvq it's not challenging and I have just done my gsces so the btec is really painful. It's pretty much what I have just done and I find my teachers really dumb things down to me as if I were completely incompetent.

My boss described the apprenticeship as a beginning point to a life long career in biomedical science. He's promised me he'll send me to university but everyone else he has promised he hasn't sent.There's no job progression in that lab. He's so disorganised I've been working in the lab handling TB related specimens and he hasn't arranged my TB jab yet. I've had to do it off my own back. He didn't even believe the fact I didn't have it until I showed him my arm and lack of scar!
I still to this day do not know what work I am meant to be doing for my NVQ and it's been four months down the line.

The people in the lab are really clique in the way that if you don't fit in you're on your own. I mean individually they're all great, friendly and so helpful in the sense you can ask them anything! But as a group I feel I am being constantly judged by the majority of them. Several occasions I've heard people bitching about me behind my back. My boss has even gossiped about me to the other apprentice. I feel like everyone prefers her to myself. To make matters worse the feeling of isolation I get and the lack of mental stimulation is making my depression come back.

I've been in my apprenticeship for four months and I have to wait till beginning of next year until it's over and I'll get a permanent job at the end of it but I don't know if I want to stay. I want to study medicine and work as a pathologist in mortuary or in A&E as a doctor. I wouldn't mind biomedical science as a career but I can't say I'm as keen about it as medicine.
So I know a levels are needed but I don't know whether to leave and do a levels now or stay. I mean is experience in a lab that important to get into medical school?

Sorry if I sound stupid or anything! Unbiased help would be much appreciated xx
Working in a path lab is valuable experience for anyone intending to work in Health Sciences. So stick with it and get the qualification. Most people applying to Medicine etc often don't realise that they need this sort of evidence of commitment to the subject or struggle to find it whilst they are still at school. If/when you do apply to Uni then you will be head & shoulders above other candidates for this reason.

You don't need to rush at this. People can, and do, go to University to read Medicine etc into their 30s. There is no law that says you must go straight from school/only when you are 18 etc. So think 'long term plan' here. Finish your apprenticeship. Then think about A levels or another qualification, or simply getting some more work experience.

There are many different routes into a career in Health Sciences and many different jobs to think about - http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/

Quick Reply

Latest