piotr.irving
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi!

I have a quick question. I am a math/science person and I want to study the three sciences and math, nevertheless if I was going to take IB Diploma I would have to take up the 7th subject.

However, getting back to the question, are IB courses accepted and respected by notable universities such as: Imperial College, Oxford, MIT, etc. ?

Would I be at a disadvantage if I presented results from the subjects that the university requires, however after finishing IB courses instead of IB Diploma?
brangawise
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
first of all, you have to finish the IB Diploma either before you submit the UCAS application form, or before that particular admission cycle ends - you can't just take the IB Courses.. you have to write the final exams and get a final IB grade - 24 out of 45 points would be a pass if you passed all your HLs as well as CAS/EE/TOK

and yes, they do get recognized worldwide by all prestigious universities - I personally think the A-level-over-IB-students thing to be bull. I have friends in Williams College, UCL, Imperial, NYU, King's College etc who have taken the IB. I myself have received offers from University of Bristol as well (so far)

the three sciences and 1 math won't work - like you said, if you really liked them, you would most probably take them at Higher Levels and 3 Higher Levels - including Math is crazy enough for you to handle. you'll have to let 1 science go. the reason is that you'll have a lot of IAs to deal with and you won't find time to do 4 of them, unless you almost completely abandon your social and personal life. I have a friend who did 4 Higher Levels, but it was economics, math, chinese and chemistry - as chinese had only IOCs, she did fine but she had to work really hard.
piotr.irving
Rep:
Thank you for the quick reply!

The school that I currently attend to said, that next year I can have a choice between either taking IB Diploma or IB Courses.
I don't need to firstly finish IB Diploma to take up Courses. From what I can understand you are saying that this is not right?

And thats the issue I have with taking IB Diploma with 4 higher level courses, thats why I would prefer to do IB Courses and just do the 4 subjects I enjoy and I can excel in.
brangawise
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
you'll have to e-mail universities regarding that - because it's not the conventional way... the thing is the entry requirements on a lot of unis I've seen is the whole IB grade (with specific grades required for HLs)

good luck! sorry I couldn't help, because I've never heard of IB courses before
piotr.irving
Rep:
Ok, thank you anyway!
NothnButTheTooth
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hey all 2012/2014 IB students (those sitting final exams in May), could you please visit this page when you have a spare second or two.. Its just a place where we can all discuss our last few Weeks as school students- and of course, the exams coming up.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6&highlight=IB

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (5)
6.94%
October 2021 (40)
55.56%
November 2021 (8)
11.11%
December 2021 (7)
9.72%
January 2021 (6)
8.33%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (4)
5.56%
Something else (2)
2.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise