York or Exeter University as my insurance Watch

W.sorflaten
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey people,

I am struggling to decide between York or Exeter (Cornwall Campus) as my insurance. Exeter requires AAB, York requires AAA. I'm predicted A*A*A, and I do intend to get the grades for Cambridge, my firm choice, but of course I need a back-up. I'd really appreciate any advice from people studying at York, Exeter, or anyone with useful info on either. All of the courses are for English Literature BA.

I'm aware that the Cornwall Campus has a reputation of being rather dull in terms of having nothing around it. Is that true? I love reading (obviously, want to study English), I love running and sports in general, and I don't think I'd be that bored there really, but how do students there feel, if you're out there?

Also, would my chances of employability go down as I studied at the Cornwall campus of Exeter Uni? I got an offer from Exeter main campus too, but it was A*AA so clearly it's a higher level of competitiveness there...

I prefer the course at York - and this is a massive factor. Really, it comes down to if I should risk the high AAA as an insurance and how factors between the two unis weigh up. Employability chances are very important to me. (as they would be for most people, I'd imagine.)

Thank you to anyone that replies; I'll appreciate any useful info you have for helping me to decide my insurance.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If York has the course you want, then that is the better choice. If you end up going to a Uni where you don't enjoy the course it will be a very miserable three years. And if you don't fancy the Cornwall campus .... it makes no sense to pick an Insurance you don't actually want to go to, does it?

Yes, AAA are high grades for an Insurance but you seem confident you can get A*s for Cambridge so is York really that much of a risk....?

If it should happen that you did in fact miss both F&I offers, you can simply reapply to other Unis next year or do retakes. Remember, you dont have to go to Uni this year and this year only.
W.sorflaten
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you for being the first to reply!

Yeah, that's what I was feeling really it's the safer AAB that is the thing that's keeping me considering Cornwall, although personally the area sounds pretty nice but I've lived in London and Dubai my whole life so it would be a drastic change, but that may be good. But it may not be... However, the course really matters a lot and I like York's college system, similar to Cambridge's...Yeah I'm leering further towards York. But AAA D: I'd hate to resit or reapply to be honest, really hate it, but thank you for your faith in me getting into Cambridge x)

Do you (or anyone else there) know about employability from either uni?
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Despite what school leavers think, employers don't sift job applications depending on which Uni you went to. Employabililty is up to you - what degree grade you get and what else you you do at Uni apart from your degree (relevant p/time work, vacation work, internships etc) and ultimately how well you write an job application/perform at interview.
Sloppy Jumpers
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by W.sorflaten)
Hey people,

I am struggling to decide between York or Exeter (Cornwall Campus) as my insurance. Exeter requires AAB, York requires AAA. I'm predicted A*A*A, and I do intend to get the grades for Cambridge, my firm choice, but of course I need a back-up. I'd really appreciate any advice from people studying at York, Exeter, or anyone with useful info on either. All of the courses are for English Literature BA.

I'm aware that the Cornwall Campus has a reputation of being rather dull in terms of having nothing around it. Is that true? I love reading (obviously, want to study English), I love running and sports in general, and I don't think I'd be that bored there really, but how do students there feel, if you're out there?

Also, would my chances of employability go down as I studied at the Cornwall campus of Exeter Uni? I got an offer from Exeter main campus too, but it was A*AA so clearly it's a higher level of competitiveness there...

I prefer the course at York - and this is a massive factor. Really, it comes down to if I should risk the high AAA as an insurance and how factors between the two unis weigh up. Employability chances are very important to me. (as they would be for most people, I'd imagine.)

Thank you to anyone that replies; I'll appreciate any useful info you have for helping me to decide my insurance.
Hey W.sorflaten,

First off, congratulations with getting into Cambridge. Fantastic!

I went to York for English Lit - it is a fantastic course, with a great reputation. To be honest, I am puzzled as to why Exeter are asking so high as when I applied I wasn't aware of them.

York is great for many reasons - course wise, it is the only university that asks you to read in another language - I went for Symbolism, (French), which was incredible. Hence BA English and Related Literature.

Second off, the English department is top for research in the UK, which means that all the tutors in the department are at the cutting edge of English research. It means that the tutors are forward thinking, progressive, and always involved in a really exciting research project - the seminars/lectures of which you can attend.

The tutors are fantastic too. One of the top Modernist thinkers lectures there (he was my dissertation supervisor), Victorian Lit too. Big names all round.

Finally, although York is a small city, it is a beautiful one. The university is reputable for its journalism, with Nouse, Circulation, URY, York Vision being some of the top student newspapers in the country. York also has the most societies in the UK universities. So you will be surrounded by like minded people, in an exciting atmosphere!

Although I am being very positive here for York, the most important thing is what you are looking for. What is it that you want from your course? And what grades are Cambridge asking for?

All best!

Sloppy J.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%