The Student Room Group

Fee Status

Hello everyone,

I have recently received an offer from King's College London for an undergraduate course in computer science with management.

I am a British citizen but I have been classified as an overseas student owing to me not living in the UK for three years by the start date of the course. I would have resided in the UK two and a half years by the start date of the course.

Firstly could someone please confirm to me whether this classification is correct. Is there no way I can be classified as a home student for the first year?

Has anyone had a similar experience to me, if so how did you proceed? Did you defer your offer till the next year or did you pay for the first year of tuition and then got your fee status changed to a home student.

Would student finance still offer me financial support for the first year at overseas rates?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by crypt0
Hello everyone,

I have recently received an offer from King's College London for an undergraduate course in computer science with management.

I am a British citizen but I have been classified as an overseas student owing to me not living in the UK for three years by the start date of the course. I would have resided in the UK two and a half years by the start date of the course.

Firstly could someone please confirm to me whether this classification is correct. Is there no way I can be classified as a home student for the first year?

Has anyone had a similar experience to me, if so how did you proceed? Did you defer your offer till the next year or did you pay for the first year of tuition and then got your fee status changed to a home student.

Would student finance still offer me financial support for the first year at overseas rates?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you

Where were you living whilst you lived abroad?

also since you returned, Which nation have you resided in?

answer these I can give you a full answer rather than making assumptions
Reply 2
Original post by RobEllis_UK
Where were you living whilst you lived abroad?

also since you returned, Which nation have you resided in?

answer these I can give you a full answer rather than making assumptions

I have never lived in the UK before. I was born in South Africa and had lived there since birth. I immigrated to the UK in March 2012.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm afraid in that case you're definitely an intenational student. Unfortunately you cannot change classification part way through your course, so you will remain on International fees for your entire course. Overseas students from outside the EU do not qualify for any Student Finance, regardless of British nationality. Residency is key.

If you could defer until Sep 2015, then you will meet the residency requirement for Home fees for the entire course. Given the amount of money you're likely to save in fees, not to mention your potential eligibility for full Student Finance (subject to the usual criteria), it must be worth considering.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by crypt0
I have never lived in the UK before. I was born in South Africa and had lived there since birth. I immigrated to the UK in March 2012.

Fair enough! I've based the answer on you living in England as you haven't mentioned that.

The regs are detailed here http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Fees--finance/Student-support/Applying-in-England/Who-is-eligible/

What they state is you must have settled status (which you do!) but that you must have 3 years residency in the UK before the start of your course. This is what you don't have and essentially it means that if you start the course classed as an international student, for student funding and tuition fee purposes you will remain an international student for the duration of the course.

Not ideal i know but if you deferred entry to University for a year you can start in September 2015 and be a home student for fees and receive full student support.
Reply 5
Thank you for the responses, very much appreciated. Are you sure that my fee status can not be changed after starting the course? I ask because the gentleman I spoke to in the admissions department informed me that he has heard about it happening in the past but can not give me any guarantees in this regard.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by crypt0
Thank you for the responses, very much appreciated. Are you sure that my fee status can not be changed after starting the course? I ask because the gentleman I spoke to in the admissions department informed me that he has heard about it happening in the past but can not give me any guarantees in this regard.

I've always understood that it was fixed and non-negotiable. It seems a bit of a gamble to take the word of someone who has anecdotal evidence but no direct experience.
And is not employed by UCAS...
Reply 8
Original post by crypt0

It would depend on the University you attended but it would be very unlikely in your case as essentially they are agreeing to receive less money but without the guarantee it would be paid (like it is through student finance).

If you look here: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Fees--finance/Home-or-Overseas-fees/England-Higher-Education/ this is the regulations for fees. Again like the student funding ones it specifically states you need 3 years residency at the start of your course.
Reply 9
Original post by RobEllis_UK
It would depend on the University you attended but it would be very unlikely in your case as essentially they are agreeing to receive less money but without the guarantee it would be paid (like it is through student finance).

If you look here: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Fees--finance/Home-or-Overseas-fees/England-Higher-Education/ this is the regulations for fees. Again like the student funding ones it specifically states you need 3 years residency at the start of your course.

Having spoken with Student Finance today I can confirm that I will not be able to change my fee status for the second year so I will have to defer my application until next year unfortunately. Thank you for your help.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending