Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As the title asks, who is your favourite poet? Why? Any particularly significant poems that you wish to share by this poet (or indeed any other)?

For me, currently, my favourite poet must be John Donne. He deals with such compellingly important issues as morality, love, religion... in the most profoundly beautiful way. I believe he was truly a poet of distinction who presented simple human truth in the most eternal and innate way. Also, his poems are so intense and complex that intellectual thought and complete attention becomes vital to the understanding which I find to be fascinating as I love a challenge. His poems are so complex, yet so simple. I truly love his Holy Sonnet 10, "Death Be Not Proud".

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    William Blake. Also my favourite theologian.

ReputationRep:
    Phillip Larkin

ReputationRep:
    Jalaladin Rumi. Even though I don't understand it the recitations are so melodious and the meaning is profound.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When I'm feeling morose, Sylvia Plath. At other times it's probably T.S. Eliot.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Plath for me, too. Or Whitman.

ReputationRep:
    I like some of Sylvia Plath's work as well. I've been reading a lot of Anne Sexton recently - I'm trying to expose myself to different poet's work since I don't have much experience.

ReputationRep:
    Ted Hughes. The way he writes about nature expresses exactly how I feel but could never say.

ReputationRep:
    Rabindranath Tagore. Poetry with subtle beauty, rich in spiritual depth, sustenance for the soul of the weary traveller.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plainview)
    William Blake. Also my favourite theologian.
    Glad I'm not the only one.

ReputationRep:
    Blake and Keats are my favorites with La Belle Dame Sans Merci being my favourite Keats and The Angel being my favourite Blake.

ReputationRep:
    My other favourite is William Wordsworth. It was through his poem 'Daffodils' that, as a blind person, I came to have an idea of how beautiful flowers can be.

ReputationRep:
    Poet Rumi without a doubt

ReputationRep:
    Keats. Always Keats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkbullets)
    Blake and Keats are my favorites with La Belle Dame Sans Merci being my favourite Keats and The Angel being my favourite Blake.
    I was just going to mention Keats! As for Blake, you should read 'Auguries of innocence' if you haven't done so yet.

ReputationRep:
    Sylvia Plath, Emily Dickinson & John Keats :love:

ReputationRep:
    Oh and of course, the bear

ReputationRep:
    Carol Ann Duffy or Wilfred Owen or Siegfried Sassoon. I like the topics Duffy deals with and her general style. I love Owen's honesty and language, dude's the only poet that's ever made me cry. Sassoon's stuff is just brutal but I like it.
    Yeah, I know, original. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyyoufools)
    Carol Ann Duffy or Wilfred Owen or Siegfried Sassoon. I like the topics Duffy deals with and her general style. I love Owen's honesty and language, dude's the only poet that's ever made me cry. Sassoon's stuff is just brutal but I like it.
    Yeah, I know, original. :rolleyes:
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Neuro-)
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
    I absolutely love that one. I had a full on rant about that in my coursework but it sort of turned into an "I hate Jessie Pope" thing...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.