The Student Room Group

Two languages or one and Business?

What do you think is better?
Reply 1
Do you want to get involved in business?
How about doing 2 languages and business? :tongue:

If you know Business is definitely where ur headed then it could be useful. Personally I'd always go for the second language. Companies generally seem to think it's much easier to take on language grads and teach them business skills than it is to take on a business grad and teach language skills. And many jobs are now requiring multiple languages; or at least if its not a requirement, it'd be an advantage.
Two languages will benefit you more than a random business degree if they are seen as 'profit-making' languages which are in demand.
Where can you do IB with 2 languages - Spanish & French? (Maths is not a strengh!) Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamesJones777
What do you think is better?

My son is bi-lingual English/Spanish & he is doing A level French, history, chemistry, biology AS and Spanish in year 12. He also does LAMDA. As he is bi-lingual he is hoping he can take on a 3rd language with IB. Any ideas of universities that can accommodate this?(Maths is not a strengh!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Antonia Jane
My son is bi-lingual English/Spanish & he is doing A level French, history, chemistry, biology AS and Spanish in year 12. He also does LAMDA. As he is bi-lingual he is hoping he can take on a 3rd language with IB. Any ideas of universities that can accommodate this?(Maths is not a strengh!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could take a look at Hull and Stirling, both of which give you the opportunity to combine French and/or Spanish with Business. At Hull, they also offer German and Italian. Bear in mind that if your son's Spanish is native or near-native he may not be allowed to take it as an undergraduate option at some universities. You would need to check that specifically with any uni he is interested in.
Reply 7
i know cardiff and newcastle offer combined courses as well.
Newcastle is very flexible with languages and Cardiff is too, as previously mentioned. I believe Manchester is as well. Aberystwyth is too, people have reservations because its not a Russel group but if he sits one of their entrance exams and does well, he could get an unconditional offer and a few thousand pounds.
Original post by JamesJones777
Newcastle is very flexible with languages and Cardiff is too, as previously mentioned. I believe Manchester is as well. Aberystwyth is too, people have reservations because its not a Russel group but if he sits one of their entrance exams and does well, he could get an unconditional offer and a few thousand pounds.

Many thanks! I'm just trying to get a list of uni's. We live in Spain so it's not so easy. And, I'm very reliant on the Internet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending